From: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@oracle.com>
To: "Ted Ts'o" <tytso@mit.edu>
Cc: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>,
	Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org>,
	Al Viro <viro@ZenIV.linux.org.uk>,
	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>,
	linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: RE: clearcache (Was: Re: [git pull] vfs pile 1)
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 15:28:32 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

> > As a result, I've spent most of my
> > free time over the last three months working on kztmem, which will
> > hopefully serve the purpose.
>
> You'll have to forgive me, but I have absolutely no idea what kztmem
> is or what it does.  Is it just compressed tmem, and hence, something
> that is only of interest to people using Xen?  If so, it's not clear
> to me how it will help non-Xen people become interested in these
> patches.

Ah, sorry, processing too much email backlog and left out some context...

Kztmem is entirely in-kernel, no virtualization required (neither
Xen nor KVM).  I'll cc you when I post V1 soon but, yes, it is
compressed *in-kernel* tmem, a more flexible/dynamic replacement for
zcache and possibly also for zram as well, architected and designed
to more easily (than zcache/zram) exploit some other directions
I plan to take with tmem concepts, including (but not limited to)
page-addressable memory (http://marc.info/?l=linux-mm&m=127811271605009).
Kztmem is coded (at least for now) as a staging driver, but uses
exactly the proposed cleancache (and frontswap) patches.

Hope that helps!
Dan