Linux-Fsdevel Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / Atom feed
From: Chuck Lever <chucklever@gmail.com>
To: Steve French <smfrench@gmail.com>
Cc: lsf-pc@lists.linux-foundation.org,
	samba-technical <samba-technical@lists.samba.org>,
	CIFS <linux-cifs@vger.kernel.org>,
	linux-fsdevel <linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] Network and Cluster File System Pain Points
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2019 13:57:17 -0500

> On Feb 8, 2019, at 10:59 AM, Steve French <smfrench@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> There are various topics particularly important to network and cluster
> file systems:
>     - additional metadata on files, directories, mount points (statx,
> enhancements to the mount API, ACLs etc.)
>     - performance related features (leases/delegation, RDMA
> integration, reflink/clone extensions, handling sideeffects of long
> latency network connections on common fs operations by better
> aggregating series of related operations together)
>     - security features
>     - mapping features available in various network and cluster FS
> protocols to Linux
>
> (in the past we also have discussed richacl, and a few features that
> would help Samba server).

I would prefer to focus on just one or two specific topics rather
than walking down a laundry list of items that we've visited in
previous years. Are there one or two particular new issues where
you need some group decision-making?

Eg, the file utilities topic seems like a specific topic, interesting
for interoperation with cloud provider file systems that are typically
large distributed block stores, and thus are slow at doing metadata
updates but capable of great aggregate update bandwidth.

--
Chuck Lever
chucklever@gmail.com