On 22/04/2020 16:02, Karstens, Nate wrote: >> It's not safe to call system() from a threaded app. That's all. It's right there in the DESCRIPTION: > > That is true, but that description is missing from both the Linux man page and the glibc documentation (https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_mono/libc.html#Running-a-Command). It seems like a minor point that won't be noticed until it causes a problem, and problems are rare enough they might go unnoticed for a while. We have removed system() from our application, but we're also concerned that libraries we integrate will use system() without our knowledge. Reimplementing system() is trivial. LD_LIBRARY_PRELOAD should take care of all system(3) calls. I wonder it it has some value to add runtime checking for "multi-threaded" to such lib functions and error out if yes. Apart from that, system() is a PITA even on single/non-threaded apps. MfG, Bernd -- There is no cloud, just other people computers. -- https://static.fsf.org/nosvn/stickers/thereisnocloud.svg