From: Chuck Lever <chuck.lever@oracle.com>
To: "J. Bruce Fields" <bfields@fieldses.org>
Cc: Jeff Layton <jlayton@redhat.com>,
	Ric Wheeler <rwheeler@redhat.com>,
	linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org,
	"linux-scsi@vger.kernel.org" <linux-scsi@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC][ATTEND] linux servers as a storage server - what's missing?
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 16:25:59 -0500	[thread overview]

On Jan 17, 2012, at 4:16 PM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 02:32:40PM -0500, Chuck Lever wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 3, 2012, at 2:26 PM, Jeff Layton wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, w/o a wishlist of sorts, it's hard to know what needs
>>> more active development ;).
>>>
>>> While HCH will probably disagree, being able to support more
>>> NFSv4/Windows API features at the VFS layer would make it a lot easier
>>> to do a more unified serving appliance. Right now, both knfsd and samba
>>> track too much info internally, and that makes it very difficult to
>>> serve the same data via multiple protocols.
>>>
>>> Off the top of my head, my "wishlist" for better NFSv4 serving would be:
>>>
>>> - RichACLs
>>> - Share/Deny mode support on open
>>> - mandatory locking that doesn't rely on weirdo file modes
>>
>> To add a few more NFSv4 related items:
>>
>> - Simplified ID mapping
>
> What are you thinking of here?
>
> --b.
>
>>   and security configuration

Trond has already made things easier for NFSv3 to NFSv4 transition by having the client send numeric UIDs and GIDs in idmap strings when servers can deal with that.

It would be even better if we had some kind of GUI like the "Users and Groups" tool that could combine the configuration of ID mapping and security configuration, and maybe provide some nice preset configurations (all local IDs, Kerberos only, LDAP, and so on).

This also needs to integrate well with network services like FreeIPA.  And it would probably need to work on both both NFS clients and servers, but what if we had some way of automatically configuring clients, on first contact with a server or realm, with a Kerberos keytab and the correct ID mapping and security set up?