On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 5:26 PM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote: > > I assume you mean unsigned int ? :-) Oops, yes. > What's wrong with the existing arch_spin_is_locked() ? It takes a memory location. And we very much want to test the value we loaded into a register. And yes, gcc can do the right thing. But at least on x86, arch_spin_is_locked() actually uses ACCESS_ONCE() to load the value from the memory location, and I actually think that is the right thing to do (or at least not incorrect). So the end result is that arch_spin_value_unlocked() is actually fairly fundamentally different from arch_spin_is_locked(). So I could have re-used arch_spin_is_locked() after having changed the semantics of it, but I really didn't want to possibly change totally unrelated users for this particular feature. > BTW. Do you have your test case at hand ? My test-case is a joke. It's explicitly *trying* to get as much contention as possible on a dentry, by just starting up a lot of threads that look up one single pathname (the same one for everybody). It defaults to using /tmp for this, but you can specify the filename. Note that directories, regular files and symlinks have fundamentally different dentry lookup behavior: - directories tend to have an elevated reference count (because they have children). This was my primary test-case, because while I suspect that there are crazy loads (and AIM7 may be one of them) that open the same _regular_ file all concurrently, I don't think it's a "normal" load). But opening the same directory concurrently as part of pathname lookup is certainly normal. - regular files tend to have a dentry count of zero unless they are actively open, and the patch I sent out will take the dentry spinlock for them when doing the final RCU finishing touches if that's the case. So this one *will* still use the per-dentry spinlock rather than the lockless refcount increments, but as outlined above I don't think that should be a scalability issue unless you're crazy. - symlink traveral causes us to drop out of RCU lookup mode, and thus cause various slow-paths to happen. Some of that we can improve on, but I suspect it will cause the lockless refcount paths to take a hit too. Anyway, I'm attaching my completely mindless test program. It has hacky things like "unsigned long count[MAXTHREADS][32]" which are purely to just spread out the counts so that they aren't in the same cacheline etc. Also note that the performance numbers it spits out depend a lot on tings like how long the dcache hash chains etc are, so they are not really reliable. Running the test-program right after reboot when the dentries haven't been populated can result in much higher numbers - without that having anything to do with contention or locking at all. Linus