Linux-Fsdevel Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / Atom feed
From: Tavian Barnes <tavianator@tavianator.com>
To: linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: d_type and bind mounts
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 14:59:29 -0500

It seems that readdir()/getdents() fill d_type from the underlying
filesystem, not respecting bind mounts of non-directories:

$ touch mount_point
$ sudo mount --bind /dev/null mount_point
$ find -name mount_point -type c
$ find -name mount_point -type f
./mount_point

(Requires a fairly recent GNU findutils to reproduce, older ones
always call stat().)  I've seen similar discussions about d_ino being
for the underlying file, not the mount point, which people have said
is technically a POSIX violation but also unlikely to be fixed.  Is
the same true of d_type?  And is there some workaround a program could
use to get the actual type without the overhead of a whole stat()
call?  For example, a way to tell whether a directory entry is a mount
point?

For reference, the relevant findutils bug is
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?54913.

(Please keep me cc'd, I'm not subscribed to lkml or fsdevel.  Thanks!)

--
Tavian Barnes