From: Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@google.com>
To: "Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@xmission.com>
Cc: "J. Bruce Fields" <bfields@fieldses.org>,
	Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>,
	syzbot <syzbot+1f371ca19b341a276761@syzkaller.appspotmail.com>,
	jlayton@kernel.org, linux-fsdevel <linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	syzkaller-bugs <syzkaller-bugs@googlegroups.com>,
	Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk>
Subject: Re: general protection fault in send_sigurg_to_task
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2018 11:42:40 -0700	[thread overview]

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 11:22 AM, Eric W. Biederman
<ebiederm@xmission.com> wrote:
> Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@google.com> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 9:01 PM, Eric W. Biederman
>> <ebiederm@xmission.com> wrote:

>>> You need to use your reproducer to bisect and find the commit that
>>> caused this.  Otherwise you will continue to confuse people.
>>>
>>> get_maintainer.pl is not a good target for automated reporting
>>> especially against linux-next.
>>
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> We will do bisection.
>> But I afraid it will not give perfect attribution for a number of reasons:
>>  - broken build/boot which happens sometimes for prolonged periods and
>> prohibits bisection
>>  - elusive races that can't be reproduced reliably and thus bisection
>> can give wrong results
>>  - bugs introduced too long ago (e.g. author email is not even valid today)
>>  - reproducers triggering more than 1 bug, so base bisection commit
>> can actually be for another bug, or bisection can switch from one bug
>> to another
>>  - last but not least, bugs without reproducers
>> Bisection will add useful information to the bug report, but it will
>> not necessary make attribution better than it is now.
>>
>> Do you have more examples where bugs were misreported? From what I see
>> current attrition works well. There are episodic fallouts, but well,
>> nothing is perfect in this world. Humans don't bisect frequently and
>> misreport sometimes. I think we just need to re-route bugs in such
>> cases.
>
> I have yet to see syzbot make a good report.  Especially against
> linux-next.

Well, first of all, we are not aware of any massive problems because
nobody tells us. What are the systematic problems that affect lots of
reports?

I took few recent ones. Anything wrong with them?

https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/7/15/230
https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/7/18/992
https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/4/19/705
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/syzkaller-bugs/F7KnbAmMa7E/VSbaYHyQCAAJ