* [bug report] fsnotify: pass dir and inode arguments to fsnotify()
@ 2020-07-30 11:13 dan.carpenter
From: dan.carpenter @ 2020-07-30 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: amir73il; +Cc: linux-fsdevel

Hello Amir Goldstein,

This is a semi-automatic email about new static checker warnings.

The patch 40a100d3adc1: "fsnotify: pass dir and inode arguments to
fsnotify()" from Jul 22, 2020, leads to the following Smatch
complaint:

    fs/notify/fsnotify.c:460 fsnotify()
    warn: variable dereferenced before check 'inode' (see line 449)

fs/notify/fsnotify.c
   448		}
   449		sb = inode->i_sb;
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^
New dreference.

   450
   451		/*
   452		 * Optimization: srcu_read_lock() has a memory barrier which can
   453		 * be expensive.  It protects walking the *_fsnotify_marks lists.
   454		 * However, if we do not walk the lists, we do not have to do
   455		 * SRCU because we have no references to any objects and do not
   456		 * need SRCU to keep them "alive".
   457		 */
   458		if (!sb->s_fsnotify_marks &&
   459		    (!mnt || !mnt->mnt_fsnotify_marks) &&
   460		    (!inode || !inode->i_fsnotify_marks) &&
                     ^^^^^^
Check too late.  Presumably this check can be removed?

   461		    (!child || !child->i_fsnotify_marks))
   462			return 0;

regards,
dan carpenter

* Re: [bug report] fsnotify: pass dir and inode arguments to fsnotify()
@ 2020-07-30 11:55 ` Amir Goldstein
From: Amir Goldstein @ 2020-07-30 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Carpenter; +Cc: linux-fsdevel, Jan Kara

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 2:13 PM <dan.carpenter@oracle.com> wrote:

> Hello Amir Goldstein,
>
> This is a semi-automatic email about new static checker warnings.
>
> The patch 40a100d3adc1: "fsnotify: pass dir and inode arguments to
> fsnotify()" from Jul 22, 2020, leads to the following Smatch
> complaint:

That's an odd report, because...

>     fs/notify/fsnotify.c:460 fsnotify()
>     warn: variable dereferenced before check 'inode' (see line 449)
>
> fs/notify/fsnotify.c
>    448          }
>    449          sb = inode->i_sb;
>                      ^^^^^^^^^^^
> New dreference.

First of all, two lines above we have
if (!inode) inode = dir;

This function does not assert (inode || dir), but must it??
This is even documented:

 * @inode:      optional inode associated with event -
 *              either @dir or @inode must be non-NULL.

Second,
The line above was indeed added by:
40a100d3adc1: "fsnotify: pass dir and inode arguments to fsnotify()"

However...

>    450
>    451          /*
>    452           * Optimization: srcu_read_lock() has a memory barrier which can
>    453           * be expensive.  It protects walking the *_fsnotify_marks lists.
>    454           * However, if we do not walk the lists, we do not have to do
>    455           * SRCU because we have no references to any objects and do not
>    456           * need SRCU to keep them "alive".
>    457           */
>    458          if (!sb->s_fsnotify_marks &&
>    459              (!mnt || !mnt->mnt_fsnotify_marks) &&
>    460              (!inode || !inode->i_fsnotify_marks) &&
>                      ^^^^^^
> Check too late.  Presumably this check can be removed?

But this line was only added later by:
9b93f33105f5 fsnotify: send event with parent/name info to
sb/mount/non-dir marks

So, yes, the check could be removed.
It is a leftover from a previous revision, but even though it is a leftover
I kind of like the code better this way.

In principle, an event on sb/mnt that is not associated with any inode
(for example
FS_UNMOUNT) could be added in the future.
And then we will have to fix documentation and the inode dereference above.

In any case, thank you for the report, but I don't see a reason to make any
changes right now.

Thanks,
Amir.

* Re: [bug report] fsnotify: pass dir and inode arguments to fsnotify()
@ 2020-07-30 19:25   ` Jan Kara
From: Jan Kara @ 2020-07-30 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amir Goldstein; +Cc: Dan Carpenter, linux-fsdevel, Jan Kara

On Thu 30-07-20 14:55:11, Amir Goldstein wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 2:13 PM <dan.carpenter@oracle.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Amir Goldstein,
> >
> > This is a semi-automatic email about new static checker warnings.
> >
> > The patch 40a100d3adc1: "fsnotify: pass dir and inode arguments to
> > fsnotify()" from Jul 22, 2020, leads to the following Smatch
> > complaint:
>
> That's an odd report, because...
>

> >     fs/notify/fsnotify.c:460 fsnotify()
> >     warn: variable dereferenced before check 'inode' (see line 449)

Yeah, I've noticed a similar report from Coverity.

> > fs/notify/fsnotify.c
> >    448          }
> >    449          sb = inode->i_sb;
> >                      ^^^^^^^^^^^
> > New dreference.
>
> First of all, two lines above we have
> if (!inode) inode = dir;
>
> This function does not assert (inode || dir), but must it??
> This is even documented:
>
>  * @inode:      optional inode associated with event -
>  *              either @dir or @inode must be non-NULL.
>
> Second,
> The line above was indeed added by:
> 40a100d3adc1: "fsnotify: pass dir and inode arguments to fsnotify()"
>
> However...
>

> >    450
> >    451          /*
> >    452           * Optimization: srcu_read_lock() has a memory barrier which can
> >    453           * be expensive.  It protects walking the *_fsnotify_marks lists.
> >    454           * However, if we do not walk the lists, we do not have to do
> >    455           * SRCU because we have no references to any objects and do not
> >    456           * need SRCU to keep them "alive".
> >    457           */
> >    458          if (!sb->s_fsnotify_marks &&
> >    459              (!mnt || !mnt->mnt_fsnotify_marks) &&
> >    460              (!inode || !inode->i_fsnotify_marks) &&
> >                      ^^^^^^
> > Check too late.  Presumably this check can be removed?
>
> But this line was only added later by:
> 9b93f33105f5 fsnotify: send event with parent/name info to
> sb/mount/non-dir marks
>
> So, yes, the check could be removed.
> It is a leftover from a previous revision, but even though it is a leftover
> I kind of like the code better this way.

And after looking at it my conclusion was the same. I like the symmetry of
the code despite some checks are actually unnecessary...

> In principle, an event on sb/mnt that is not associated with any inode
> (for example
> FS_UNMOUNT) could be added in the future.
> And then we will have to fix documentation and the inode dereference above.
>
> In any case, thank you for the report, but I don't see a reason to make any
> changes right now.

Agreed.

								Honza
--