* [LSF/MM TOPIC] filesystem virtualization
@ 2019-02-06 13:00 Miklos Szeredi
From: Miklos Szeredi @ 2019-02-06 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lsf-pc
  Cc: linux-fsdevel, linux-mm, Vivek Goyal, Stefan Hajnoczi,
	Dr. David Alan Gilbert

This is a joint topic proposal with Vivek Goyal.

Discuss remaining issues related to exporting a filesystem from host to
guest (see virtio-fs prototype posting[1] for more background):

* How to provide strong coherency guarantees?

   - Fsnotify synchronous post op notification
   - Extend lease (delegation) API to userspace
   - Multi-component path revalidation

* Issues related to c/m/atime handling:

   - Clock synchronization between host and guest (not an fs issue, but fs
     has to deal with lack of it)

   - Could we have O_NOCMTIME open flag?

* Shared access to file data:

   - Use DAX in guest to access host page cache (mmap/munmap sections of
     file in guest address space; happens dynamically on a need basis); is
     this design reasonable?

   - Avoids memory copies and cache duplication, but host page table setup
     may have high cost.  Can that be improved?  (E.g. fault-ahead)

   - Too many VMA’s on host per qemu instance?

* File locking:

   - Host API for POSIX lock sharing?

* Ideas for the future:

   - Buffering directory operations (e.g. "tar xfz ..." with as few
     synchronous ops as possible)

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20181210171318.16998-1-vgoyal@redhat.com/

* Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] filesystem virtualization
@ 2019-02-06 20:02 ` Amir Goldstein
From: Amir Goldstein @ 2019-02-06 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miklos Szeredi
  Cc: lsf-pc, linux-fsdevel, Linux MM, Vivek Goyal, Stefan Hajnoczi,
	Dr. David Alan Gilbert

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 3:06 PM Miklos Szeredi <miklos@szeredi.hu> wrote:

> This is a joint topic proposal with Vivek Goyal.
>
> Discuss remaining issues related to exporting a filesystem from host to
> guest (see virtio-fs prototype posting[1] for more background):
>
> * How to provide strong coherency guarantees?
>
>    - Fsnotify synchronous post op notification
>    - Extend lease (delegation) API to userspace

There are some commonalities here with userspace networking
file servers. I am interested in samba in particular and things
that we can do to improve Linux interfaces for samba.
SMB3 directory leases for example.

Thanks,
Amir.