* Hang / zombie process from Xarray page-fault conversion (bisected)
@ 2019-03-08  6:16 Dan Williams
From: Dan Williams @ 2019-03-08  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Wilcox; +Cc: Linux MM, linux-nvdimm, linux-fsdevel, Barror, Robert

Hi Willy,

We're seeing a case where RocksDB hangs and becomes defunct when
trying to kill the process. v4.19 succeeds and v4.20 fails. Robert was
able to bisect this to commit b15cd800682f "dax: Convert page fault
handlers to XArray".

I see some direct usage of xa_index and wonder if there are some more
pmd fixups to do?

Other thoughts?

* Re: Hang / zombie process from Xarray page-fault conversion (bisected)
@ 2019-03-11 15:09 ` Matthew Wilcox
From: Matthew Wilcox @ 2019-03-11 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Williams; +Cc: Linux MM, linux-nvdimm, linux-fsdevel, Barror, Robert

On Thu, Mar 07, 2019 at 10:16:17PM -0800, Dan Williams wrote:
> Hi Willy,
>
> We're seeing a case where RocksDB hangs and becomes defunct when
> trying to kill the process. v4.19 succeeds and v4.20 fails. Robert was
> able to bisect this to commit b15cd800682f "dax: Convert page fault
> handlers to XArray".
>
> I see some direct usage of xa_index and wonder if there are some more
> pmd fixups to do?
>
> Other thoughts?

I don't see why killing a process would have much to do with PMD
misalignment.  The symptoms (hanging on a signal) smell much more like
leaving a locked entry in the tree.  Is this easy to reproduce?  Can you
get /proc/$pid/stack for a hung task?

* Re: Hang / zombie process from Xarray page-fault conversion (bisected)
@ 2019-03-12  3:35   ` Dan Williams
From: Dan Williams @ 2019-03-12  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Wilcox; +Cc: Linux MM, linux-nvdimm, linux-fsdevel, Barror, Robert

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 8:10 AM Matthew Wilcox <willy@infradead.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 07, 2019 at 10:16:17PM -0800, Dan Williams wrote:
> > Hi Willy,
> >
> > We're seeing a case where RocksDB hangs and becomes defunct when
> > trying to kill the process. v4.19 succeeds and v4.20 fails. Robert was
> > able to bisect this to commit b15cd800682f "dax: Convert page fault
> > handlers to XArray".
> >
> > I see some direct usage of xa_index and wonder if there are some more
> > pmd fixups to do?
> >
> > Other thoughts?
>
> I don't see why killing a process would have much to do with PMD
> misalignment.  The symptoms (hanging on a signal) smell much more like
> leaving a locked entry in the tree.  Is this easy to reproduce?  Can you
> get /proc/$pid/stack for a hung task?

It's fairly easy to reproduce, I'll see if I can package up all the
dependencies into something that fails in a VM.

It's limited to xfs, no failure on ext4 to date.

The hung process appears to be:

     kworker/53:1-xfs-sync/pmem0

...and then the rest of the database processes grind to a halt from there.

Robert was kind enough to capture /proc/$pid/stack, but nothing interesting:

[<0>] worker_thread+0xb2/0x380
[<0>] kthread+0x112/0x130
[<0>] ret_from_fork+0x1f/0x40
[<0>] 0xffffffffffffffff

* Re: Hang / zombie process from Xarray page-fault conversion (bisected)
@ 2019-03-12  4:37     ` Dave Chinner
From: Dave Chinner @ 2019-03-12  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Williams
  Cc: Matthew Wilcox, Linux MM, linux-nvdimm, linux-fsdevel, Barror, Robert

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 08:35:05PM -0700, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 8:10 AM Matthew Wilcox <willy@infradead.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 07, 2019 at 10:16:17PM -0800, Dan Williams wrote:
> > > Hi Willy,
> > >
> > > We're seeing a case where RocksDB hangs and becomes defunct when
> > > trying to kill the process. v4.19 succeeds and v4.20 fails. Robert was
> > > able to bisect this to commit b15cd800682f "dax: Convert page fault
> > > handlers to XArray".
> > >
> > > I see some direct usage of xa_index and wonder if there are some more
> > > pmd fixups to do?
> > >
> > > Other thoughts?
> >
> > I don't see why killing a process would have much to do with PMD
> > misalignment.  The symptoms (hanging on a signal) smell much more like
> > leaving a locked entry in the tree.  Is this easy to reproduce?  Can you
> > get /proc/$pid/stack for a hung task?
>
> It's fairly easy to reproduce, I'll see if I can package up all the
> dependencies into something that fails in a VM.
>
> It's limited to xfs, no failure on ext4 to date.
>
> The hung process appears to be:
>
>      kworker/53:1-xfs-sync/pmem0

That's completely internal to XFS. Every 30s the work is triggered
and it either does a log flush (if the fs is active) or it syncs the
superblock to clean the log and idle the filesystem. It has nothing
to do with user processes, and I don't see why killing a process has
any effect on what it does...

> ...and then the rest of the database processes grind to a halt from there.
>
> Robert was kind enough to capture /proc/$pid/stack, but nothing interesting:
>
> [<0>] worker_thread+0xb2/0x380
> [<0>] kthread+0x112/0x130
> [<0>] ret_from_fork+0x1f/0x40
> [<0>] 0xffffffffffffffff

Much more useful would be:

# echo w > /proc/sysrq-trigger

And post the entire output of dmesg.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner
david@fromorbit.com

* RE: Hang / zombie process from Xarray page-fault conversion (bisected)
@ 2019-03-12 16:53       ` Barror, Robert
From: Barror, Robert @ 2019-03-12 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Chinner, Williams, Dan J
  Cc: Matthew Wilcox, Linux MM, linux-nvdimm, linux-fsdevel

Hi Guys,

"> It's limited to xfs, no failure on ext4 to date", this is incorrect. I have been able to reproduce this issue with ext4. In order to do that, I need to run the full test (on both pmems in the system) and not the half test (only 1 pmem) that I use for inducing the hang under XFS. The test also runs considerably longer before failing with ext4 than XFS.

Thx bob

@ 2019-03-14  7:34       ` Dan Williams
From: Dan Williams @ 2019-03-14  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Chinner
  Cc: Matthew Wilcox, Linux MM, linux-nvdimm, linux-fsdevel, Barror, Robert

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 9:38 PM Dave Chinner <david@fromorbit.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 08:35:05PM -0700, Dan Williams wrote:

> > > I don't see why killing a process would have much to do with PMD
> > > misalignment.  The symptoms (hanging on a signal) smell much more like
> > > leaving a locked entry in the tree.  Is this easy to reproduce?  Can you
> > > get /proc/$pid/stack for a hung task?
> >
> > It's fairly easy to reproduce, I'll see if I can package up all the
> > dependencies into something that fails in a VM.
> >
> > It's limited to xfs, no failure on ext4 to date.
> >
> > The hung process appears to be:
> >
> >      kworker/53:1-xfs-sync/pmem0
>
> That's completely internal to XFS. Every 30s the work is triggered
> and it either does a log flush (if the fs is active) or it syncs the
> superblock to clean the log and idle the filesystem. It has nothing
> to do with user processes, and I don't see why killing a process has
> any effect on what it does...
>
> > ...and then the rest of the database processes grind to a halt from there.
> >
> > Robert was kind enough to capture /proc/$pid/stack, but nothing interesting:
> >
> > [<0>] worker_thread+0xb2/0x380
> > [<0>] kthread+0x112/0x130
> > [<0>] ret_from_fork+0x1f/0x40
> > [<0>] 0xffffffffffffffff
>
> Much more useful would be:
>
> # echo w > /proc/sysrq-trigger
>
> And post the entire output of dmesg.

Here it is:

https://gist.github.com/djbw/ca7117023305f325aca6f8ef30e11556

There are some process stuck indefinitely waiting to acquire an Xarray
entry lock.

* Re: Hang / zombie process from Xarray page-fault conversion (bisected)
@ 2019-03-15  2:26         ` Dave Chinner
From: Dave Chinner @ 2019-03-15  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Williams
  Cc: Matthew Wilcox, Linux MM, linux-nvdimm, linux-fsdevel, Barror, Robert

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 12:34:51AM -0700, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 9:38 PM Dave Chinner <david@fromorbit.com> wrote:

> > > It's fairly easy to reproduce, I'll see if I can package up all the
> > > dependencies into something that fails in a VM.
> > >
> > > It's limited to xfs, no failure on ext4 to date.
> > >
> > > The hung process appears to be:
> > >
> > >      kworker/53:1-xfs-sync/pmem0
> >
> > That's completely internal to XFS. Every 30s the work is triggered
> > and it either does a log flush (if the fs is active) or it syncs the
> > superblock to clean the log and idle the filesystem. It has nothing
> > to do with user processes, and I don't see why killing a process has
> > any effect on what it does...
> >
> > > ...and then the rest of the database processes grind to a halt from there.
> > >
> > > Robert was kind enough to capture /proc/$pid/stack, but nothing interesting:
> > >
> > > [<0>] worker_thread+0xb2/0x380
> > > [<0>] kthread+0x112/0x130
> > > [<0>] ret_from_fork+0x1f/0x40
> > > [<0>] 0xffffffffffffffff
> >
> > Much more useful would be:
> >
> > # echo w > /proc/sysrq-trigger
> >
> > And post the entire output of dmesg.
>
> Here it is:
>
> https://gist.github.com/djbw/ca7117023305f325aca6f8ef30e11556

Which tells us nothing. :(

I think a bisect is in order...

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner
david@fromorbit.com

* Re: Hang / zombie process from Xarray page-fault conversion (bisected)
@ 2019-03-15  2:46           ` Dan Williams
From: Dan Williams @ 2019-03-15  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Chinner
  Cc: Matthew Wilcox, Linux MM, linux-nvdimm, linux-fsdevel, Barror, Robert

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 7:26 PM Dave Chinner <david@fromorbit.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 12:34:51AM -0700, Dan Williams wrote:

> > > That's completely internal to XFS. Every 30s the work is triggered
> > > and it either does a log flush (if the fs is active) or it syncs the
> > > superblock to clean the log and idle the filesystem. It has nothing
> > > to do with user processes, and I don't see why killing a process has
> > > any effect on what it does...

> > > Much more useful would be:
> > >
> > > # echo w > /proc/sysrq-trigger
> > >
> > > And post the entire output of dmesg.
> >
> > Here it is:
> >
> > https://gist.github.com/djbw/ca7117023305f325aca6f8ef30e11556
>
> Which tells us nothing. :(
>
> I think a bisect is in order...

Right, you missed this earlier in the thread, bisect points to:

@ 2019-05-04 19:42           ` Matthew Wilcox
From: Matthew Wilcox @ 2019-05-04 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Chinner
  Cc: Dan Williams, Linux MM, linux-nvdimm, linux-fsdevel, Barror, Robert

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 01:26:04PM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 12:34:51AM -0700, Dan Williams wrote:

> > > That's completely internal to XFS. Every 30s the work is triggered
> > > and it either does a log flush (if the fs is active) or it syncs the
> > > superblock to clean the log and idle the filesystem. It has nothing
> > > to do with user processes, and I don't see why killing a process has
> > > any effect on what it does...

> > > Much more useful would be:
> > >
> > > # echo w > /proc/sysrq-trigger
> > >
> > > And post the entire output of dmesg.
> >
> > Here it is:
> >
> > https://gist.github.com/djbw/ca7117023305f325aca6f8ef30e11556
>
> Which tells us nothing. :(

Nothing from a filesystem side, perhaps, but I find it quite interesting.

We have a number of threads blocking in down_read() on mmap_sem.  That
means a task is holding the mmap_sem for write, or is blocked trying
to take the mmap_sem for write.  I think it's the latter; pid 4650
is blocked in munmap().  pid 4673 is blocking in get_unlocked_entry()
and will be holding the mmap_sem for read while doing so.

Since this is provoked by a fatal signal, it must have something to do
with a killable or interruptible sleep.  There's only one of those in the
DAX code; fatal_signal_pending() in dax_iomap_actor().  Does rocksdb do
I/O with write() or through a writable mmap()?  I'd like to know before
I chase too far down this fault tree analysis.

My current suspicion is that we have a PMD fault being not-woken by a PTE
modification, and the evidence seems to fit, but I don't quite see it yet.

(I meant to ask Dan about this while we were in San Juan, but with all
the other excitement, it slipped my mind).