Linux-Fsdevel Archive on lore.kernel.org
* Maintainers / Kernel Summit 2021 planning kick-off
@ 2021-04-19 15:28 Theodore Ts'o
From: Theodore Ts'o @ 2021-04-19 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit, linux-kernel, linux-block, linux-fsdevel, linux-mm,
	netdev, linux-arch, linux-api

[ Feel free to forward this to other Linux kernel mailing lists as
  appropriate -- Ted ]

This year, the Maintainers and Kernel Summit is currently planned to
be held in Dublin, Ireland, September 27 -- 29th.  Of course, this is
subject to change depending on how much progress the world makes
towards vaccinating the population against the COVID-19 virus, and
whether employers are approving conference travel.  At this point,
there's a fairly good chance that we will need to move to a virtual
conference format, either for one or both of the summits.

As in previous years, the Maintainers Summit is invite-only, where the
primary focus will be process issues around Linux Kernel Development.
It will be limited to 30 invitees and a handful of sponsored
attendees.

The Kernel Summit is organized as a track which is run in parallel
with the other tracks at the Linux Plumbers Conference (LPC), and is
open to all registered attendees of LPC.

Linus has generated a core list of people to be invited to the
Maintainers Summit, and the program committee will be using that list
a starting point of people to be considered.  People who suggest
topics that should be discussed at the Maintainers Summit will also be
added to the list for consideration.  To make topic suggestions for
the Maintainers Summit, please send e-mail to the
ksummit@lists.linux.dev with a subject prefix of [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT].

(Note: The older ksummit-discuss@lists.linuxfoundation.org list has
been migrated to lists.linux.dev, with the subscriber list and
archives preserved.)

The other job of the program committee will be to organize the program
for the Kernel Summit.  The goal of the Kernel Summit track will be to
provide a forum to discuss specific technical issues that would be
easier to resolve in person than over e-mail.  The program committee
will also consider "information sharing" topics if they are clearly of
interest to the wider development community (i.e., advanced training
in topics that would be useful to kernel developers).

To suggest a topic for the Kernel Summit, please do two things.
First, please tag your e-mail with [TECH TOPIC].  As before, please
use a separate e-mail for each topic, and send the topic suggestions
to the ksummit-discuss list.

Secondly, please create a topic at the Linux Plumbers Conference
proposal submission site and target it to the Kernel Summit track.
For your convenience you can use:

	https://bit.ly/lpc21-summit

Please do both steps.  I'll try to notice if someone forgets one or
the other, but your chances of making sure your proposal gets the
necessary attention and consideration are maximized by submitting both
to the mailing list and the web site.

People who submit topic suggestions before June 12th and which are
accepted, will be given free admission to the Linux Plumbers
Conference.

We will be reserving roughly half of the Kernel Summit slots for
last-minute discussions that will be scheduled during the week of
Plumbers, in an "unconference style".  This allows last-minute ideas
that come up to be given given slots for discussion.

If you were not subscribed on to the kernel@lists.linux-dev mailing
list from last year (or if you had removed yourself from the
ksummit-discuss@lists.linux-foundation.org mailing list after the
previous year's kernel and maintainers' summit summit), you can
subscribe sending an e-mail to:

	ksummit+subscribe@lists.linux.dev

The mailing list archive is available at:

	https://lore.kernel.org/ksummit

The program committee this year is composed of the following people:

Jens Axboe
Arnd Bergmann
Jon Corbet
Greg Kroah-Hartman
Ted Ts'o

* Re: Maintainers / Kernel Summit 2021 planning kick-off
@ 2021-04-28 10:29 ` Jiri Kosina
From: Jiri Kosina @ 2021-04-28 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodore Ts'o
  Cc: ksummit, linux-kernel, linux-block, linux-fsdevel, linux-mm,
	netdev, linux-arch, linux-api

On Mon, 19 Apr 2021, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> This year, the Maintainers and Kernel Summit is currently planned to
> be held in Dublin, Ireland, September 27 -- 29th.

Hi Ted,

given the fact that OSS is being relocated from Dublin to Washington [1],
is Kernel Summit following that direction?

[1] https://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/press-release/the-linux-foundation-announces-open-source-summit-embedded-linux-conference-2021-will-move-from-dublin-ireland-to-seattle-washington/

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs

* Re: Maintainers / Kernel Summit 2021 planning kick-off
@ 2021-04-30 21:48   ` Theodore Ts'o
From: Theodore Ts'o @ 2021-04-30 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiri Kosina
  Cc: ksummit, linux-kernel, linux-block, linux-fsdevel, linux-mm,
	netdev, linux-arch, linux-api

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 12:29:52PM +0200, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2021, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
>
> > This year, the Maintainers and Kernel Summit is currently planned to
> > be held in Dublin, Ireland, September 27 -- 29th.
>
> Given the fact that OSS is being relocated from Dublin to Washington [1],
> is Kernel Summit following that direction?
>
> [1] https://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/press-release/the-linux-foundation-announces-open-source-summit-embedded-linux-conference-2021-will-move-from-dublin-ireland-to-seattle-washington/

Apologies for the delay in responding; I wasiting for the LPC to post
its announcement that the LPC will be going 100% virtual:

   https://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/blog/2021/index.php/2021/04/30/linux-plumbers-goes-fully-virtual/

As the LPC planning committee stated,

   "Unfortunately, the safety protocols imposed by event venues in the
   US require masks and social distancing which make it impossible to
   hold the interactive part of Plumbers (the Microconferences)."

The Maintainer's Summit is even more interactive and discussion
focused than most of the Microconferences.  In addition, for the last
few years, the Kernel Summit is run as a track at the LPC.  As a
result, both the Maintainer's and Kernel Summit will be held virtually
this year, using the LPC infrastructure, and will not be colocated
with OSS to Seattle.  We'll make sure the dates (plus some buffer for
travel) won't overlap to avoid creating conflicts for those who are
planning to attend OSS in Seattle.

I know we're all really hungry for some in-person meetups and
discussions, but at least for LPC, Kernel Summit, and Maintainer's
Summit, we're going to have to wait for another year,

Cheers,

					- Ted