From: Kent Overstreet <kent.overstreet@linux.dev>
To: Steve French <smfrench@gmail.com>
Cc: Amir Goldstein <amir73il@gmail.com>,
	 lsf-pc <lsf-pc@lists.linux-foundation.org>,
	CIFS <linux-cifs@vger.kernel.org>,
	 samba-technical <samba-technical@lists.samba.org>,
	linux-fsdevel <linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org>,
	 Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz>, Christian Brauner <brauner@kernel.org>,
	 David Howells <dhowells@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] statx attributes
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 12:45:16 -0500	[thread overview]

On Thu, Mar 07, 2024 at 10:37:13AM -0600, Steve French wrote:
> > Which API is used in other OS to query the offline bit?
> > Do they use SMB specific API, as Windows does?
>
> No it is not smb specific - a local fs can also report this.  It is
> included in the attribute bits for files and directories, it also
> includes a few additional bits that are used by HSM software on local
> drives (e.g. FILE_ATTRIBUTE_PINNED when the file may not be taken
> offline by HSM software)
> ATTRIBUTE_HIDDEN
> ATTRIBUTE_SYSTEM
> ATTRIBUTE_DIRECTORY
> ATTRIGBUTE_ARCHIVE
> ATTRIBUTE_TEMPORARY
> ATTRIBUTE_SPARSE_FILE
> ATTRIBUTE_REPARE_POINT
> ATTRIBUTE_COMPRESSED
> ATTRIBUTE_NOT_CONTENT_INDEXED
> ATTRIBUTE_ENCRYPTED
> ATTRIBUTE_OFFLINE

we've already got some of these as inode flags available with the
getflags ioctl (compressed, also perhaps encrypted?) - but statx does
seem a better place for them.

statx can also report when they're supported, which does make sense for
these.

ATTRIBUTE_DIRECTORY, though?

we also need to try to define the semantics for these and not just dump
them in as just a bunch of identifiers if we want them to be used by
other things - and we do.

ATTRIBUTE_TEMPORARY is the one I'm eyeing; I've been planning tmpfile
support in bcachefs, it'll turn fsyncs into noops and also ensure files
are deleted on unmount/remount.