linux-gpio.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Coiby Xu <coiby.xu@gmail.com>
To: Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com>
Cc: Linus Walleij <linus.walleij@linaro.org>,
	"open list:GPIO SUBSYSTEM" <linux-gpio@vger.kernel.org>,
	Nehal Shah <Nehal-bakulchandra.Shah@amd.com>,
	Shyam Sundar S K <Shyam-sundar.S-k@amd.com>,
	linux-kernel-mentees@lists.linuxfoundation.org
Subject: Re: Any other ways to debug GPIO interrupt controller (pinctrl-amd) for broken touchpads of a new laptop model?
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2020 22:51:33 +0800	[thread overview]

On Fri, Oct 02, 2020 at 03:36:29PM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On 10/2/20 2:42 PM, Coiby Xu wrote:
>>On Fri, Oct 02, 2020 at 11:40:12AM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
>>>Hi,

>>>Thanks, although I'm honored to be considered the go to person
>>>for these kinda things my specialty really lies with these
>>>kinda issues with intel Bay Trail and Cherry Trail SoCs
>>>never the less let me take a look.
>>
>>Thank you for taking time to examine this touchpad issue!

>>>So these both look fine.

>>>So are you seeing these 7 interrupts / second for the touchpad irq or for
>>>the GPIO controllers parent irq ?
>>>
>>>Also to these 7 interrupts/sec stop happening when you do not touch the
>>>touchpad ?
>>>
>>I see these 7 interrupts / second for the GPIO controller's parent irq.
>>And they stop happening when I don't touch the touchpad.
>
>Only from the parent irq, or also on the touchpad irq itself ?
>
>If this only happens on the parent irq, then I would start looking at the
>amd-pinctrl code which determines which of its "child" irqs to fire.

This only happens on the parent irq. The input's pin#130 of the GIPO
chip is low most of the time and pin#130.

>>>To me this sounds like the interrupt is configured as being triggered on
>>>a negative edge so that it only fires once when the line from the touchpad
>>>goes low, and for some reason 7 times a second the touchpad controller
>>>briefly releases the line (sorta gives up to signal the irq and then
>>>tries again?).

>>>I agree that this sounds like a problem with the GpioInt handling.

>>>The way I would try to debug this (with access to the hardware) is
>>>to try an verify the interrupt trigger (level vs edge) settings inside
>>>pinctrl/amd by adding a bunch of printks printing them whenever the
>>>relevant register bits are touched.
>>>
>>>So I'm going to guess here that these touchpads use i2c-hid, so I
>>>took a quick peak at the i2c-hid irq request code from
>>>drivers/hid/i2c-hid/i2c-hid-core.c:
>>>
>>>       unsigned long irqflags = 0;
>>>       int ret;
>>>
>>>       dev_dbg(&client->dev, "Requesting IRQ: %d\n", client->irq);
>>>
>>>       if (!irq_get_trigger_type(client->irq))
>>>               irqflags = IRQF_TRIGGER_LOW;
>>>
>>>       ret = request_threaded_irq(client->irq, NULL, i2c_hid_irq,
>>>                                  irqflags | IRQF_ONESHOT, client->name, ihid);
>>>
>>>So this tries to preserve the pre-configured irq-type on the irq
>>>line and if no irq-type is set then it overrides the trigger-type
>>>to IRQF_TRIGGER_LOW, which means level-low.
>>>
>>>One quick hack you can try is ommenting out the "if (!irq_get_trigger_type(client->irq))"
>>>type, I guess maybe the pinctrl-amd code is defaulting all IRQs to some
>>>edge trigger type? This should override it and recontrol it to
>>>a level trigger type.
>>>
>>Yes, "these touchpads use i2c-hid". I have examined the configuration of
>>irq-type in drivers/hid/i2c-hid/i2c-hid-core.c and can confirm it's been
>>configured to be level-low.
>>
>>$ sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/gpio|grep -A1 pin130
>>260:pin130      Level trigger| Active low| interrupt is enabled| interrupt is unmasked| disable wakeup in S0i3 state| disable wakeup in S3 state|
>>
>>(Of course we rely on drivers/pinctrl/pinctrl-amd.c to read&interpret
>>data from the corresponding registers. If pinctrl-amd is return false
>>reports, we can do nothing about this)
>
>Well you could review the code printing this vs say the code setting
>the trigger type. If those don't match then something is definitely
>wrong somewhere.

Thank you for the suggestion! I just did a review and didn't find
anything suspicious. Before, I thought I need some hardware specs to
confirm the code is written following the specs but I can't find any
documentation. And pinctrl-amd has proven to be working for other
laptop model although there were several touchpad issues caused by
pinctrl-amd which have been fixed. So I can assume there's nothing
wrong with basic functionalities like setting interrupt trigger
type.

>>Btw, we can't make any change in i2c-hid because they will be overridden
>>by drivers/pinctrl/pinctrl-amd.c which use the values from the ACPI tables
>>instead,
>>
>>static int amd_gpio_irq_set_type(struct irq_data *d, unsigned int type)
>>{
>>
>>     /* Ignore the settings coming from the client and
>>      * read the values from the ACPI tables
>>      * while setting the trigger type
>>      */
>>
>>     irq_flags = irq_get_trigger_type(d->irq);
>>     if (irq_flags != IRQ_TYPE_NONE)
>>         type = irq_flags;
>>}
>
>That looks a bit fishy, sometimes we need to override the irq-type from
>a driver because the ACPI tables of various devices are often of
>dubious quality. AFAIK non of the Intel GPIO drivers do something like
>this...
>
>Also I'm not seeing this in the latest upstream code, so I guess this
>bit got recently dropped ... ?
>
>What kernel version are you testing with? You really should always test
>things like this with Linus' latest master branch.

Sorry for the confusion! I use 5.7.4 for testing which was the latest
version when I had this laptop. And this part of code of overriding
the irq-type indeed has indeed been removed on Jun 26.

I has been sticking with 5.7.4 because some users who also own this
laptop have been actively reporting the results with the latest kernel
and I occasionally test it myself (for example, today I checked 5.9 rc6).
I will use the latest kernel to reduce the communication cost.

>Hmm, I wonder if this is not an i2c-controller issue instead. But you should
>that you tried to modify the i2c-hid code to poll the GPIO and then run its
>threaded-irq handler on a successfull poll instead works around things, right ?
>
>Still it would be interesting to add a printk to the begin + end of the
>i2c-hid threaded-irq-handler to see how long it takes to run.

Yes. Polling the touchpad based on pin#130's status could make the
touchpad work which has been confirmed by other affected user.
I have already examined i2c-controller, i2c-hid and hid-multoutch
before focusing on pinctrl-amd. The i2c-hid threaded-irq-handler
can process ~500 interrupts at maximum. Based on these evidences
(for the details, please check https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-input/msg69267.html),
I think I could move on to examine pinctrl-amd.

--
Best regards,
Coiby