linux-gpio.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Bartosz Golaszewski <brgl@bgdev.pl>
To: Andy Shevchenko <andy@kernel.org>
Cc: Linus Walleij <linus.walleij@linaro.org>,
	linux-gpio@vger.kernel.org, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org,
	Dipen Patel <dipenp@nvidia.com>,
	Bartosz Golaszewski <bartosz.golaszewski@linaro.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC/RFT PATCH] gpiolib: reverse-assign the fwnode to struct gpio_chip
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 20:28:21 +0200	[thread overview]

On Sat, Oct 7, 2023 at 9:45 AM Andy Shevchenko <andy@kernel.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 06, 2023 at 09:07:54PM +0200, Bartosz Golaszewski wrote:

> > > That's expected behaviour.
> >
> > Is it though? We now have a GPIO device that represents a piece of
> > physical hardware that has an fwnode assigned and the associated GPIO
> > chip (tied to that device) that has none. How is that logical? It's
> > not coherent.
>
> To me it is pretty much logical, yes. The providers decide themselves
> if they want to have any specific device node for the chip or inherit
> it from the physical hardware. Note, there are two types of the FW descriptions
> of the GPIO controller, when it's 1:1 to the banks and when it's one device
> with list of children, one per bank. Due to this differences we have
> this field in the GPIO chip to begin with.

This is irrelevant for this discussion. The tegra driver in question
knows which fwnode it's using - the one from the parent device. It's
just that when the HTE driver tries to find the chip using either
gpiochip_find() or gpio_device_find(), it fails and I'm pretty sure
that if Dipen bisected it, it would point to commit daecca4b8433
("gpiolib: Do not alter GPIO chip fwnode member").

IMO the GPIO subsystem should take a phandle to the HTE engine it uses
for timestamping and that would allow us to not do the lookup at all
but that's a different discussion.

Anyway, I think Linus' suggestion is better than this patch.

Bart