linux-hwmon.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* vcnl3020 hwmon/proximity driver
@ 2020-01-28 11:31 Ivan Mikhaylov
From: Ivan Mikhaylov @ 2020-01-28 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jonathan Cameron, Hartmut Knaack, Lars-Peter Clausen,
	Peter Meerwald-Stadler, Jean Delvare, Guenter Roeck, linux-hwmon,
	linux-iio, linux-kernel, Ivan Mikhaylov

Hello, I want to make driver for vcnl3020 but not sure where should I put it.
It's similar to vcnl40xx series which is already in iio/light/vcnl4000.c
but it perfectly fits with hwmon intrusion detection concept
(intrusion[0-*]_alarm), so I'm a little bit confused.

vcnl3020 - proximity sensor which mostly using for intrusion detection
vcnl4020 - light and proximity sensor

Doc's links:
https://www.vishay.com/docs/84150/vcnl3020.pdf
https://www.vishay.com/docs/83476/vcnl4020.pdf

That's what I think about possible ways:

1. just iio/proximity/vcnl3020.c
2. extend functionality inside vcnl4000.c with ifdefs and dts stuff and maybe
   rename it with generalization inside
3. hwmon driver for intrusion detection inside drivers/hwmon
4. both iio/proximity/vcnl3020.c and hwmon/vcnl3020.c
   Example: hwmon/wm8350-hwmon.c + mfd/wm8350-core.c
   So, just make proximity driver, do the depend in Kconfig for hwmon driver
   on proximity driver and use proximity driver calls if would be needed.

Maybe there any other good ways to deal with it? I'd be prefer 4.

Thanks.