Linux-Hwmon Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Guenter Roeck <linux@roeck-us.net>
To: Corey Ashford <yeroca@gmail.com>,
	linux-hwmon@vger.kernel.org, Jean Delvare <jdelvare@suse.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] hwmon: add support for IT8686E to it87.c
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 20:17:43 -0800

On 11/29/19 6:11 PM, Corey Ashford wrote:
> Hello folks.  I am running a newly-built system that uses an IT8686E
> chip.  Currently, the latest kernel from kernel.org doesn't have code
> in drivers/hwmon/it87.c to support it, however, I found some source on
> the net which has added support for quite a few more variants of that
> brand of Super I/O chip:
> https://github.com/xdarklight/hwmon-it87/blob/master/it87.c
> I tried it out by building the module and "insmod"ing it into my
> running system, and it appears to work fine.
>
> It seems the original developer had a difficult time pushing the
> changes upstream, so he abandoned the project.

I abandoned the project (and dropped the driver from my github page)
because people started _demanding_ that I push the driver from github
upstream, without offering any assistance whatsoever.

> My thought was that I could add support for just the IT8686E chip as a
> single patch, and since I can test it locally I would have a better
> chance of getting the patch accepted.  The changes to the source at
> the above git tree have quite a number of changes that aren't really
> necessary for supporting the IT8686E chip, so I think the patch could
> be pretty small, but will still credit the original author.

IT8686 is a multi-page chip, meaning you'll need the entire protection
against multi-page accesses by the EC in the system. It also supports
the new temperature map. I don't think it is that simple.

Guenter