Linux-Hwmon Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Corey Ashford <yeroca@gmail.com>
To: linux-hwmon@vger.kernel.org, Jean Delvare <jdelvare@suse.com>
Subject: [RFC] hwmon: add support for IT8686E to it87.c
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 18:11:14 -0800

Hello folks.  I am running a newly-built system that uses an IT8686E
chip.  Currently, the latest kernel from kernel.org doesn't have code
in drivers/hwmon/it87.c to support it, however, I found some source on
the net which has added support for quite a few more variants of that
brand of Super I/O chip:
https://github.com/xdarklight/hwmon-it87/blob/master/it87.c
I tried it out by building the module and "insmod"ing it into my
running system, and it appears to work fine.

It seems the original developer had a difficult time pushing the
changes upstream, so he abandoned the project.

My thought was that I could add support for just the IT8686E chip as a
single patch, and since I can test it locally I would have a better
chance of getting the patch accepted.  The changes to the source at
the above git tree have quite a number of changes that aren't really
necessary for supporting the IT8686E chip, so I think the patch could
be pretty small, but will still credit the original author.

What are your thoughts on this?  Is there a better path to go?

Thanks for your consideration,

- Corey