On Fri, Jul 02, 2021 at 12:51:27PM +0530, Viresh Kumar wrote: > On 02-07-21, 15:15, Jie Deng wrote: > > Then what is the need to design this interface as "return the number of > > messages successfully > > processed, or a negative value on error". Just return success or fail is > > enough. Let me quote a comment from the I2C core which is there since 2008: /* REVISIT the fault reporting model here is weak: * * - When we get an error after receiving N bytes from a slave, * there is no way to report "N". * * - When we get a NAK after transmitting N bytes to a slave, * there is no way to report "N" ... or to let the master * continue executing the rest of this combined message, if * that's the appropriate response. * * - When for example "num" is two and we successfully complete * the first message but get an error part way through the * second, it's unclear whether that should be reported as * one (discarding status on the second message) or errno * (discarding status on the first one). */ > for 5.14-rc1/2.. So it would be better if you resend the next version as soon as > possible :) I won't be around for the next two weeks after today.