Linux-i3c Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Vitor Soares <Vitor.Soares@synopsys.com>
To: Boris Brezillon <boris.brezillon@collabora.com>,
	Vitor Soares <Vitor.Soares@synopsys.com>
Cc: Przemyslaw Gaj <pgaj@cadence.com>,
	"linux-i3c@lists.infradead.org" <linux-i3c@lists.infradead.org>,
	"bbrezillon@kernel.org" <bbrezillon@kernel.org>
Subject: RE: I3C Mastership RFC
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 14:17:38 +0000

From: Boris Brezillon <boris.brezillon@collabora.com>
Date: Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 12:32:14

> Hi Vitor,
>
> On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 11:56:00 +0000
> Vitor Soares <Vitor.Soares@synopsys.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > From: Przemyslaw Gaj <pgaj@cadence.com>
> > Date: Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 06:10:12
> >
> > > Hi Vitor,

> > > So, Vitor, can you share your changes? Can you tell me what you had to
> > > change to make it work? Also, which patch version is this based on?
> >
> > I'm closing a task and after that I will prepare the RFC.
>
> Okay, can we have an estimate? Are we talking about days or weeks?

I will prioritize it for next week.

> > I based in all version and tried to pass everything to master.c file.
>
> I'm not sure what that means, but okay.
>
> > Right now my challenge it to trigger mastership request when a device
> > driver want to access to the bus but I believe we can discuss that after.
>
> That's kind of a basic feature when talking about mastership handover,
> but sure, we can discuss it after your RFC has been posted.

I need to test if the time that device.c request the mastership and the
controller has effectively the ownership of the bus is short enough to
call i3c_dev_do_priv_xfers_locked(dev->desc, xfers, nxfers) before of all
housekeeping of bus takeover.

> Note that I'm not super happy to have to go back to square 1 and throw
> away all of the work done by Przemek, especially since Przemek was the
> first one to post a patchset and he never really said he didn't
> want or didn't have time to continue working on this task (not even
> mentioning the time I spent reviewing those patches...).
>
> If Przemek is fine with this situation I'm okay making an exception,
> but be aware that it's not how we usually do: the person that posts a
> patchset first leads the thing (of course, it's even better if there's
> some kind of coordination before the patch is posted).

Honestly it looks like I'm competing on this which is not the case.
I just pointed out my concerns about this adoption because I see several
issues on it. The point is, at the end you can pick some parts of my sec
master code and integrate in your solution.

As I said previous for I3C spec 1.1 secondary master received a big
improvement due the misunderstanding published in 1.0 spec. I don't know
any other protocol that implement such kind of feature and for this is
from far the most complex feature to implement in SO based systems from
i3c spec.

> BTW, you mentioned working on a lot of different topics, but most of
> them were left unfinished (userspace i3cdev interface, I3C slave
> framework/API, ...).

The i3cdev does what we discuss during the proposal of i3c subsystem and
only expose i3c device without device driver yet I'm not happy with
transfer struct.
For the tools I have for hdr and sdr transfers, for now I didn't feel the
need of a tool for ccc (but for testing purposes it would help a lot).

> Any plans to post RFCs on those aspects anytime
> soon? I mean, there's plenty of topics to work on, and I'd really prefer
> that each developer work on a different topic instead of duplicating the
> effort...
>
> Regards,
>
> Boris

Best regards,