linux-i3c.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
* i3c application
@ 2019-01-29  0:54 Ryan Chen
From: Ryan Chen @ 2019-01-29  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-i3c

Hi all,
	I just work with I3C, does there have any application like i2c-tools I can used?
	Or any Linux i3c application I can have i3c slave and master loop test?

Ryan Chen

* Re: i3c application
@ 2019-01-29 13:30 ` Boris Brezillon
From: Boris Brezillon @ 2019-01-29 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ryan Chen; +Cc: linux-i3c, Vitor Soares

+Vitor who started a discussion around i3c-tools and the associate
kernel <-> userspace interface.

Hi Ryan,

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 00:54:05 +0000
Ryan Chen <ryan_chen@aspeedtech.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> 	I just work with I3C, does there have any application like i2c-tools I can used?

No, but I'll ask the same question I already asked Vitor: what would
you use i3c-tools for? What should it contain? I'm not against the
idea, but I'd like to delimit the scope of the userspace interface.

> 	Or any Linux i3c application I can have i3c slave and master loop test?

Not sure I get this request correctly. Are you talking about a dummy
slave driver that would return any data it receives to the TX queue
so that the next read request coming from the master returns what the
master wrote in its previous write access?

If that's what you have in mind, then it's definitely not supported.
But before we even consider doing that, we should first introduce the
concept of I3C slave controller and then decide how we want to expose
slave features. Note that Vitor and I disagree on the solution: I think
we should mimic the USB gadget approach (where you can attach a generic
profile to any USB device controller), and Vitor thinks slave IPs
should have their profile/feature-set hardcoded in the driver (which
works fine for hardcoded slave IPs, but is not that great if the slave
block is generic).

Regards,

Boris

* RE: i3c application
@ 2019-02-02  3:01   ` Ryan Chen
From: Ryan Chen @ 2019-02-02  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Boris Brezillon'; +Cc: linux-i3c, 'Vitor Soares'

Hello Boris,
		Thanks a lot.

>+Vitor who started a discussion around i3c-tools and the associate
> kernel <-> userspace interface.

Does there have open source repo in internet?

> Hi all,
> 	I just work with I3C, does there have any application like i2c-tools
I can used?

>No, but I'll ask the same question I already asked Vitor: what would you
use i3c-tools for? What should it contain? I'm not against the idea, but I'd
like to delimit the scope of the userspace >interface.

Sure, it definitely a user space application.
I will connect with some i3c device or have loop back interact. I3c master
<-> i3c slave

> 	Or any Linux i3c application I can have i3c slave and master loop
test?

>>Not sure I get this request correctly. Are you talking about a dummy slave
driver that would return any data it receives to the TX queue so that the
next read request coming from the >>master returns what the master wrote in
its previous write access?

>>If that's what you have in mind, then it's definitely not supported.
>>But before we even consider doing that, we should first introduce the
concept of I3C slave controller and then decide how we want to expose slave
features. Note that Vitor and I disagree >>on the solution: I think we
should mimic the USB gadget approach (where you can attach a generic profile
to any USB device controller), and Vitor thinks slave IPs should have their
>>profile/feature-set hardcoded in the driver (which works fine for
hardcoded slave IPs, but is not that great if the slave block is generic).

Thanks, if I can refer from with I3c-tools, I can start for i3c-master and
i3c slave dummy test.

Regards,

Ryan

* Re: i3c application
@ 2019-02-03 17:33     ` Boris Brezillon
From: Boris Brezillon @ 2019-02-03 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ryan Chen; +Cc: linux-i3c, 'Vitor Soares'

Hello Ryan,

On Sat, 2 Feb 2019 03:01:51 +0000
Ryan Chen <ryan_chen@aspeedtech.com> wrote:

> Hello Boris,
> 		Thanks a lot.
>
> >+Vitor who started a discussion around i3c-tools and the associate
> > kernel <-> userspace interface.
>
> Does there have open source repo in internet?

AFAICT there's nothing implemented yet, we just started discussing it.

> > Hi all,
> > 	I just work with I3C, does there have any application like i2c-tools
> I can used?
>
> >No, but I'll ask the same question I already asked Vitor: what would you
> use i3c-tools for? What should it contain? I'm not against the idea, but I'd
> like to delimit the scope of the userspace >interface.
>

> Sure, it definitely a user space application.
> I will connect with some i3c device or have loop back interact. I3c master
> <-> i3c slave

Sorry, I don't get it. I don't know what you mean by loop back. I also
don't see why you absolutely need a user-space app to interact with a
device when you can develop a simple driver running in kernel space,
and I see no answers to these questions in your reply.

> > 	Or any Linux i3c application I can have i3c slave and master loop
> test?
>
> >>Not sure I get this request correctly. Are you talking about a dummy slave
> driver that would return any data it receives to the TX queue so that the
> next read request coming from the >>master returns what the master wrote in
> its previous write access?
>

> >>If that's what you have in mind, then it's definitely not supported.
> >>But before we even consider doing that, we should first introduce the
> concept of I3C slave controller and then decide how we want to expose slave
> features. Note that Vitor and I disagree >>on the solution: I think we
> should mimic the USB gadget approach (where you can attach a generic profile
> to any USB device controller), and Vitor thinks slave IPs should have their
> >>profile/feature-set hardcoded in the driver (which works fine for
> hardcoded slave IPs, but is not that great if the slave block is generic).
>
> Thanks, if I can refer from with I3c-tools, I can start for i3c-master and
> i3c slave dummy test.

As I already said above, there's no i3c-tools yet, and there won't be
until we are clear on what this project should contain and what the
kernel <-> userspace interface should look like.

Can we have a more detailed description of your use case please?

Regards,

Boris

* RE: i3c application
@ 2019-02-04  7:08       ` Ryan Chen
From: Ryan Chen @ 2019-02-04  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Boris Brezillon'; +Cc: linux-i3c, 'Vitor Soares'

Hello Boris,
> >+Vitor who started a discussion around i3c-tools and the associate
> > kernel <-> userspace interface.
>
> Does there have open source repo in internet?

>AFAICT there's nothing implemented yet, we just started discussing it.

> > Hi all,
> > 	I just work with I3C, does there have any application like
> > i2c-tools
> I can used?
>
> >No, but I'll ask the same question I already asked Vitor: what would
> >you
> use i3c-tools for? What should it contain? I'm not against the idea,
> but I'd like to delimit the scope of the userspace >interface.
>

> Sure, it definitely a user space application.
> I will connect with some i3c device or have loop back interact. I3c
> master <-> i3c slave

>>Sorry, I don't get it. I don't know what you mean by loop back. I also
don't see why you absolutely need a user-space app to interact with a device
when you can develop a simple driver >>running in kernel space, and I see no
answers to these questions in your reply.

> > 	Or any Linux i3c application I can have i3c slave and master loop
> test?
>
> >>Not sure I get this request correctly. Are you talking about a dummy
> >>slave
> driver that would return any data it receives to the TX queue so that
> the next read request coming from the >>master returns what the master
> wrote in its previous write access?
>

> >>If that's what you have in mind, then it's definitely not supported.
> >>But before we even consider doing that, we should first introduce
> >>the
> concept of I3C slave controller and then decide how we want to expose
> slave features. Note that Vitor and I disagree >>on the solution: I
> think we should mimic the USB gadget approach (where you can attach a
> generic profile to any USB device controller), and Vitor thinks slave
> IPs should have their
> >>profile/feature-set hardcoded in the driver (which works fine for
> hardcoded slave IPs, but is not that great if the slave block is generic).
>
> Thanks, if I can refer from with I3c-tools, I can start for i3c-master
> and i3c slave dummy test.

>>As I already said above, there's no i3c-tools yet, and there won't be
until we are clear on what this project should contain and what the kernel
<-> userspace interface should look like.

>>Can we have a more detailed description of your use case please?

Sorry for confuse.
Let me explain more.
For example at i2c, In our SOC, we have i2c slave and master. So I can use
I2c slave to be dummy memory device. And I can connect my I2c master and
slave.
I2c master use i2c-tools to have i2cget, i2cset for read/write i2c slave
dummy memory.

So, I just wonder if i3c have some user application that I can have a start
point. It will easy way for me do the same thing.

Regards,

Ryan

* Re: i3c application
@ 2019-02-04 10:59         ` vitor
From: vitor @ 2019-02-04 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ryan Chen, 'Boris Brezillon'; +Cc: linux-i3c, 'Vitor Soares'

Hi Ryan,

On 04/02/19 07:08, Ryan Chen wrote:
> Sorry for confuse.
> Let me explain more.
> For example at i2c, In our SOC, we have i2c slave and master. So I can use
> I2c slave to be dummy memory device. And I can connect my I2c master and
> slave.
> I2c master use i2c-tools to have i2cget, i2cset for read/write i2c slave
> dummy memory.
>
> So, I just wonder if i3c have some user application that I can have a start
> point. It will easy way for me do the same thing.
>

> Regards,
>
> Ryan

As Boris said for now there is nothing like i2c-tools for i3c.

Based on initial discussion with Boris, I'm working on something to submit soon.

Best regards,
Vitor Soares

* RE: i3c application
@ 2019-02-05 14:49           ` Ryan Chen