linux-ide.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Legacy IDE driver for Buddha IDE is still in use
@ 2019-07-08 17:10 Max Staudt
From: Max Staudt @ 2019-07-08 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ide

Hi [linux-ide],

Just popping in to respond to your deprecating the legacy IDE stack [1].

First of all, thanks for providing a grace period and for pointing people to [linux-ide].

I'd like to mention that there are still users left for the Buddha IDE controller for the Amiga (at least myself), and its driver [2] has still not been ported to libata.

Given that the Buddha IDE has been re-released in 2018 and is still being produced in 2019 [3, 4], I'd say this card is far from dead. As for the Amiga itself, a kernel as recent as 4.19 (from Debian sid) boots on my Amiga 2000 quite nicely - great work!

For the time being, I'd just like to raise my hand and say "yes, this driver is still in use". Maybe I'll get to port it in the future, but until then I have to tend to other things first.

Thanks for keeping the IDE stack alive,

Max

[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=7ad19a99ad431b5cae005c30b09096517058e84e

[2] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/ide/buddha.c

[3] https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/product/buddha-ide.html

[4] https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/33/items/buddha-flash-software-update-89.html

* Re: Legacy IDE driver for Buddha IDE is still in use
@ 2019-07-08 21:46 ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2019-07-08 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Staudt; +Cc: linux-ide

Hi Max,

Linux 5.1 and newer have a libata driver for the Buddha controller
(drivers/ata/pata_buddha.c, CONFIG_PATA_BUDDHA).  Please check if
that works for you and if not report back to the list.

* Re: Legacy IDE driver for Buddha IDE is still in use
@ 2019-07-13 13:52   ` Max Staudt
From: Max Staudt @ 2019-07-13 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig; +Cc: linux-ide

On 07/08/2019 11:46 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> Linux 5.1 and newer have a libata driver for the Buddha controller
> (drivers/ata/pata_buddha.c, CONFIG_PATA_BUDDHA).  Please check if
> that works for you and if not report back to the list.

That's great news, thanks for pointing this out.
I've given it a try and so far it seems to work a treat.

I'll submit a patch to move Buddha detection from initcall to module_driver() autoprobing. That way, it's also no longer necessary to load the driver manually, and pata_buddha can be built right into the kernel.

Max