Linux-IIO Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Nishant Malpani <nish.malpani25@gmail.com>
To: linux-iio@vger.kernel.org
Cc: Dragos.Bogdan@analog.com
Subject: [RFC] IIO Driver for GSoC 2020
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 23:04:06 +0530

Hello IIO,

The project proposal for GSoC 2020 under The Linux Foundation [1] must
include a Analog Devices, Inc.'s component for which a novel driver is
to be implemented. My search for a prospective device has culminated to
consider ADXRS290 Gyroscope. About ADXRS290:

- Ultra-low Noise, Dual-Axis (Pitch and Roll) MEMS Gyroscope
- "Recommended for New Designs" phase
- SPI digital output
- Datasheet in [2]
- Product overview in [3]

The existence of any compatible drivers for the above component was
looked for in Analog Device, Inc.'s page that lists all drivers [4] and
their kernel tree [5] and the Linux Kernel Driver database (LKDDb). It
was found to be void and ergo my decision to choose the aforementioned
component.

Is there any other factor I should consider before choosing a component
to make a driver for? Do I go ahead with ADXRS290 gyroscope in my
proposal? If yes, are there any recommendations/suggestions you'd like
to provide for a beginner indulging in making a kernel driver for such a
component?

Thank you for your time.

With regards,
Nishant Malpani