linux-iio.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* IIO on KernelDevDay
@ 2019-04-15 22:09 Renato Lui Geh
From: Renato Lui Geh @ 2019-04-15 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jic23, Michael.Hennerich, stefan.popa, alexandru.Ardelean, dragos.bogdan
  Cc: linux-iio, kernel-usp

Hi Jonathan,

(CC-ing linux-iio in case others would like to comment. :)

So some history to begin with. Since late last year, we've
been attempting to build a tradition of kernel contribution
amongst students here at the computer science department of
the University of São Paulo (USP). We made it "official" and
created a student group made out of graduate and
undergraduate students: FLUSP [1].

We started small, but as you probably know, managed to get
almost three drivers moved out of staging! We've been quite
excited with what we've achieved so far and decided to open
up our small group to the whole University.

Since then we've managed to get some new people involved and
some of their patches sent out. Recently we have received
quite a big influx of students interested in contributing to
the kernel, and so we wanted to do something big. We came up
with this idea for a KernelDevDay [2], in which we get a
bunch of us in a room and spend the whole day sending out
patches to a specific subsystem.

We were thinking of going with the IIO for this debut
version, as that's the one we've most experience with. We
intend on working on 5 or more specific drivers (depending
on the number of attendees), and our objective is to move
them out of staging. This event would happen on May 18
(that's a Saturday), with several patches sent throughout
the day.

We know that your review window is on weekends, and that
this might mean a high volume of patches on that day, so we
wanted to let you know of all this beforehand and give you
the time to send any suggestions or comments on all this.
Like if maybe you'd want us to specifically tag our patches
for a later batch review, and not have to deal with them all
at once; or have us send large patchsets as opposed to small
or individual patches so as to not spam you.

We are also aware of several problems that might turn up.
Like that our patches might not be accepted or reviewed on
the same day, which might result in a bottleneck. We plan on
working on multiple drivers at the same time to solve this
issue. We also plan on having an internal review to avoid
wasting your time with minor reviews. We also know that
you're not the only one reviewing drivers (and we obviously
don't expect you to review everything on the same day!), and
that the event being on a Saturday might be troublesome, but
I think what we really want is to just help out the IIO any
way we can. :)

Anyway, we'd really love to have your opinion on this.
Sorry for the high content email.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Thanks,
Renato