Linux-IIO Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Renato Lui Geh <renatogeh@gmail.com>
To: Jonathan Cameron <jonathan.cameron@huawei.com>
Cc: Renato Lui Geh <renatogeh@gmail.com>,
	jic23@kernel.org, Michael.Hennerich@analog.com,
	stefan.popa@analog.com, alexandru.Ardelean@analog.com,
	dragos.bogdan@analog.com, linux-iio@vger.kernel.org,
	kernel-usp@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: IIO on KernelDevDay
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 21:43:14 -0300

Hi Jonathan,

Sorry for taking so long to give you an update on things.
We've been quite busy with the organizational aspects of the
event. Anyways, we're all set for KDD. We're keeping touch
with all the great fellas at Analog, who've helped us a
great bunch. They've helped us set a battle plan for
tomorrow and we're ready to put things in motion!

Adding a tiny little comment inline below replying to one of
your comments. :)

Many thanks!
Renato and everyone at KDD

On 04/16, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
>On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 19:09:48 -0300
>Renato Lui Geh <renatogeh@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jonathan,
>
>Hi Renato,
>

>> (CC-ing linux-iio in case others would like to comment. :)
>>
>> So some history to begin with. Since late last year, we've
>> been attempting to build a tradition of kernel contribution
>> amongst students here at the computer science department of
>> the University of São Paulo (USP). We made it "official" and
>> created a student group made out of graduate and
>> undergraduate students: FLUSP [1].
>>
>> We started small, but as you probably know, managed to get
>> almost three drivers moved out of staging! We've been quite
>> excited with what we've achieved so far and decided to open
>> up our small group to the whole University.
>
>It's been great to see your activities grow!
>

>> Since then we've managed to get some new people involved and
>> some of their patches sent out. Recently we have received
>> quite a big influx of students interested in contributing to
>> the kernel, and so we wanted to do something big. We came up
>> with this idea for a KernelDevDay [2], in which we get a
>> bunch of us in a room and spend the whole day sending out
>> patches to a specific subsystem.
>>

>Sounds fun :)
>
>> We were thinking of going with the IIO for this debut
>> version, as that's the one we've most experience with. We
>> intend on working on 5 or more specific drivers (depending
>> on the number of attendees), and our objective is to move
>> them out of staging. This event would happen on May 18
>> (that's a Saturday), with several patches sent throughout
>> the day.
>>
>> We know that your review window is on weekends, and that
>> this might mean a high volume of patches on that day, so we
>> wanted to let you know of all this beforehand and give you
>> the time to send any suggestions or comments on all this.
>> Like if maybe you'd want us to specifically tag our patches
>> for a later batch review, and not have to deal with them all
>> at once; or have us send large patchsets as opposed to small
>> or individual patches so as to not spam you.
>
>Don't worry about it, but thanks for the warning.  Just send
>the patches out when they are ready to post.  Given this
>whole day sounds like a great idea, I'll see if I can be available
>that afternoon / evening UK time to give some immediate feedback.
>No promises though!

You're too kind, Jonathan. We don't want to give you any
trouble. Especially because of the significant difference
in timezones. Besides, I'm assuming we're only going to be
sending in patches to IIO late in the day, and only after
passing an internal review, so please don't waste your
weekend on us. :)