linux-input.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: "Filipe Laíns" <lains@archlinux.org>
To: Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer@redhat.com>,
	Benjamin Tissoires <btissoir@redhat.com>
Cc: Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com>,
	linux-input <linux-input@vger.kernel.org>,
	Nestor Lopez Casado <nlopezcasad@logitech.com>,
	Jiri Kosina <jikos@kernel.org>,
	Bastien Nocera <hadess@hadess.net>,
	Julien Hartmann <juli1.hartmann@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Make the hid-logitech-dj driver remove the HID++ nodes when the device disconnects
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2020 00:36:47 +0000	[thread overview]

On Fri, 2020-02-07 at 10:03 +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> On 7/2/20 3:01 am, Benjamin Tissoires wrote:

> > > No, I was thinking to just send the HID++ version identification
> > > routine and see if the device replies.
> >
> > Hmm, to continue on these questions:
> > - yes, the current approach is to have the users of the HID++ device
> > try to contact the device, get an error from the receiver, then keep
> > the hidraw node open until we get something out of it, and then we can
> > start talking to it
> > - to your question Hans, when a device connects, it emits a HID++
> > notification, which we should be relaying in the hidraw node. If not,
> > well then starting to receive a key or abs event on the input node is
> > a pretty good hint that the device connected.
> >
> > So at any time, the kernel knows which devices are connected among
> > those that are paired, so the kernel knows a lot more than user space.
> >
> > The main problem Filipe is facing here is that we specifically
> > designed libratbag to *not* keep the device nodes opened, and to not
> > poll on the input events. The reason being... we do not want libratbag
> > to be considered as a keylogger.
>
> I'm wondering - can we really get around this long-term? Even if we have
> a separate HID++ node and/or udev change events and/or some other
> notification, in the end you still have some time T between that event
> and userspace opening the actual event node. Where the first key event
> wakes up the physical keyboard, you're now racing.

Yes but it doesn't really matter in this case. We would only be
potentially losing HID++ events, which are not that important, unlike
normal input events. In fact, libratbag does not care about HID++
events, they are just ignored.

We would still have the same issue, yes, except here we don't really
care.

> So the separate HID++ node works as long as libratbag *only* listens to
> that node, as soon as we need to start caring about a normal event it
> won't work any longer.

You mean when libratbag starts caring about normal input events? What
is the point of that? Why would we need to do that? Also, as Benjamin
pointed out, that would classify as a keylogger.

Cheers,
Filipe Laíns