linux-integrity.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Mimi Zohar <zohar@linux.ibm.com>
To: Ignaz Forster <iforster@suse.de>,
	Goldwyn Rodrigues <rgoldwyn@suse.com>,
	linux-integrity@vger.kernel.org,
	Miklos Szeredi <miklos@szeredi.hu>,
	linux-unionfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: EVM: Permission denied with overlayfs
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 18:00:31 -0500	[thread overview]

Hi Ignaz,

On Tue, 2018-12-18 at 20:49 +0100, Ignaz Forster wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as a follow up to my attempts to use overlayfs on an IMA protected
> system[1] I've now tried to also enable EVM. From what I understand this
> should - at least in theory - be possible: EVM will call
> d_backing_inode(dentry), which I thought would get the inode of the
> underlying file system[2], and use that for HMAC verification.
>
> In practice simply trying to access an existing file will fail with
> "Permission denied" already. In the corresponding audit log I can see
> the file access (failed with "invalid-HMAC"), but with an inode number
> unknown to me - stat returns a completely different number for the file
> in the lower and target dir.
>
> For testing purposes I added a new hashing algorithm to
> evm_ima_xattr_type which will not add the file system specific
> attributes (inode number, generation, file system uuid) to the hash -
> just like EVM_XATTR_PORTABLE_DIGSIG, but with the hashes generated by
> the kernel. Files created with this signature can be read correctly,
> though writing the files will still fail.
>
> Unfortunately I'm out of ideas what is happening here. If anybody wants
> to have a look at this: Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Ignaz
>
> [1] https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-integrity/msg03593.html
> [2] https://www.kernel.org/doc/htmldocs/filesystems/API-d-backing-inode.html

After creating a file on the overlay, I wasn't able to access it from
the overlay, but was able to access it from "upper".  Both "stat" and
"getfattr -m ^security" returned exactly the same things for both
pathnames.  However, the ino in the audit log was different.

After modifying evm_calc_hmac_or_hash(), replacing d_backing_inode()
with d_real_inode(), the hmac properly calculated for both the overlay
and the upper pathnames.

Something must have changed in d_backing_inode().

Mimi