linux-integrity.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@HansenPartnership.com>
To: Lakshmi Ramasubramanian <nramas@linux.microsoft.com>,
	Mimi Zohar <zohar@linux.ibm.com>,
	linux-integrity@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ima_tpm_chip is queried and saved only at IMA init, but never later
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2019 08:58:39 -0700	[thread overview]

On Thu, 2019-10-03 at 08:40 -0700, Lakshmi Ramasubramanian wrote:
> On 9/24/19 3:37 PM, James Bottomley wrote:
> > On Tue, 2019-09-24 at 15:31 -0700, Lakshmi Ramasubramanian wrote:
> >
> > There has been some discussion that we could, for UEFI systems, use
> > the
> > UEFI runtime drivers for the TPM until the actual driver is
> > inserted
> > but no-one's looked into doing that.
> >
> > James
>
> Can IMA take a dependency on TPM and postpone IMA initialization
> until a TPM device shows up?

I don't believe we can postpone IMA initialization because it has to
start before any user space execution so it logs everything correctly
and the measurement chain is unbroken.

There are potentially two ways of fixing the IMA before TPM is ready
problem: one is to use the TPM BIOS device ... or really the UEFI
device since getting non-UEFI to measure external things is very non-
standard. And the other is to cache all the measurements and then
replay them through the TPM when it shows up.

> Has anyone looked into this?

I don't believe anyone has, no.

James