linux-integrity.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* About PureBoot and TPM based DRM's
@ 2019-02-27 15:56 Jarkko Sakkinen
From: Jarkko Sakkinen @ 2019-02-27 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-integrity

Just read this:

https://puri.sm/posts/pureboot-the-high-security-boot-process/

Makes me ask: where are these TPM based DRM's? Never seen one but I
assume they exist. Anyway cool work otherwise.

/Jarkko

* Re: About PureBoot and TPM based DRM's
@ 2019-02-27 16:57 ` James Bottomley
From: James Bottomley @ 2019-02-27 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarkko Sakkinen, linux-integrity

On Wed, 2019-02-27 at 17:56 +0200, Jarkko Sakkinen wrote:
> Just read this:
>
> https://puri.sm/posts/pureboot-the-high-security-boot-process/
>
> Makes me ask: where are these TPM based DRM's? Never seen one but I
> assume they exist. Anyway cool work otherwise.

Actually, they don't, the article is just restating a common
misconception that the TPM is used to enforce DRM and then saying
they've found a non-evil use for it which, apparently, is using the TPM
for standard key storage and measurement.  Apparently this means we're
also all working on non-evil uses ...

James

* Re: About PureBoot and TPM based DRM's
@ 2019-02-27 17:25   ` Jarkko Sakkinen
From: Jarkko Sakkinen @ 2019-02-27 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Bottomley; +Cc: linux-integrity

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 08:57:31AM -0800, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Wed, 2019-02-27 at 17:56 +0200, Jarkko Sakkinen wrote:
> > Just read this:
> >
> > https://puri.sm/posts/pureboot-the-high-security-boot-process/
> >
> > Makes me ask: where are these TPM based DRM's? Never seen one but I
> > assume they exist. Anyway cool work otherwise.
>
> Actually, they don't, the article is just restating a common
> misconception that the TPM is used to enforce DRM and then saying
> they've found a non-evil use for it which, apparently, is using the TPM
> for standard key storage and measurement.  Apparently this means we're
> also all working on non-evil uses ...

*Might* be that Palladium that was canceled from Windows Vista might be
the seed of this misconception. It seems to have spread about somewhat
similar discussions when it still was coming.

/Jarkko