linux-integrity.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Matthew Garrett <mjg59@google.com>
To: Kavitha Sivagnanam <kavi@juniper.net>
Cc: "linux-integrity@vger.kernel.org" <linux-integrity@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Can we enforce "IMA Policy" based on file type
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 10:59:50 -0700	[thread overview]

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 5:08 PM Kavitha Sivagnanam <kavi@juniper.net> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am wondering, in the current implementation of IMA policy, if there is a way to enforce appraisal on a file based on the file type.  The file type that I am interested in enforcing the policy is for SquashFS files.

Not directly - the kernel has no idea of what type a file has. If you
use selinux or smack then you can label squashfs files with a specific
type and then use the obj_role option in your policy. You'd also need
policy that prevents anyone else from modifying these, so depending on
what your threat model is this may not work out.