linux-integrity.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Raphael Gianotti <raphgi@linux.microsoft.com>
To: Mimi Zohar <zohar@linux.ibm.com>,
	James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@HansenPartnership.com>,
	janne.karhunen@gmail.com
Cc: linux-integrity@vger.kernel.org, tusharsu@linux.microsoft.com,
	tyhicks@linux.microsoft.com, nramas@linux.microsoft.com,
	balajib@linux.microsoft.com, Amir Goldstein <amir73il@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] Persist ima logs to disk
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2021 09:58:33 -0800	[thread overview]

On 1/8/2021 4:38 AM, Mimi Zohar wrote:
>> For how long the list would be retained, or in the case of a log segments, it
>> might make sense to have that be an admin decision, something that can be
>> configured to satisfy the needs of a specific system, as mentioned below by
>> James, does that seem correct?
> For the discussion on exporting and truncating the IMA measurement
> list, refer to:
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-integrity/1580998432.5585.411.camel@linux.ibm.com/
>
>> Given the possibility of keeping the logs around for an indefinite amount of
>> time, would using an expansion of the method present in this RFC be more
>> appropriate than going down the vfs_tmpfile route? Forgive my lack on expertise
>> on mm, but would the vfs_tmpfile approach work for keeping several log segments
>> across multiple kexecs?
> With the "vfs_tmpfile" mechanism, breaking up and saving the log in
> segments isn't needed.  The existing mechanism for carrying the
> measurement list across kexec would still be used.  Currently, if the
> kernel cannot allocate the memory needed for carrying the measurement
> across kexec, it simply emits an error message, but continues with the
> kexec.

In this change I had introduced "exporting" the log to disk when the size
of the measurement list was too large. Given part of the motivation behind
moving the measurement list is the possibility of it growing too large
and taking up too much of the kernel memory, that case would likely lead
to kexec not being able to carry over the logs. Do you believe it's better
to use the "vfs_tmpfile" mechanism for moving the logs to disk and worry
about potential issues with kexec not being able to carry over the logs
separately, given the "vfs_tempfile" approach seems to be preferred and
also simplifies worries regarding truncating the logs?