IOMMU Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / color / Atom feed
* status of the calgary iommu driver
@ 2019-04-09 14:03 Christoph Hellwig
  2019-04-09 14:03 ` Christoph Hellwig
  2019-05-08 17:42 ` Jon Mason
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2019-04-09 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muli Ben-Yehuda, Jon Mason; +Cc: x86, iommu, linux-kernel

Hi Muli and Jon,

do you know if there are user of systems with the Calgary iommu
around still? It seems like the last non-drive by changes to it
are from 2010 and I'm not sure how common these systems were.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* status of the calgary iommu driver
  2019-04-09 14:03 status of the calgary iommu driver Christoph Hellwig
@ 2019-04-09 14:03 ` Christoph Hellwig
  2019-05-08 17:42 ` Jon Mason
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2019-04-09 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muli Ben-Yehuda, Jon Mason; +Cc: iommu, x86, linux-kernel

Hi Muli and Jon,

do you know if there are user of systems with the Calgary iommu
around still? It seems like the last non-drive by changes to it
are from 2010 and I'm not sure how common these systems were.
_______________________________________________
iommu mailing list
iommu@lists.linux-foundation.org
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/iommu

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: status of the calgary iommu driver
  2019-04-09 14:03 status of the calgary iommu driver Christoph Hellwig
  2019-04-09 14:03 ` Christoph Hellwig
@ 2019-05-08 17:42 ` Jon Mason
  2019-05-08 17:52   ` Christoph Hellwig
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Jon Mason @ 2019-05-08 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig; +Cc: iommu, x86, linux-kernel, Muli Ben-Yehuda

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 3:03 PM Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Muli and Jon,
>
> do you know if there are user of systems with the Calgary iommu
> around still? It seems like the last non-drive by changes to it
> are from 2010 and I'm not sure how common these systems were.


These systems were plentiful for 2-4 years after the original series
made it in.  After that, the Intel and AMD IOMMUs should were shipped
and were superior to this chip.  So, even in systems where these might
be present, the AMD/Intel ones should be used (unknown if they were
shipped on the same ones, as both Muli and I have left IBM).

You thinking about removing the code?

Thanks,
Jon
_______________________________________________
iommu mailing list
iommu@lists.linux-foundation.org
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/iommu

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: status of the calgary iommu driver
  2019-05-08 17:42 ` Jon Mason
@ 2019-05-08 17:52   ` Christoph Hellwig
  2019-05-08 17:56     ` Jon Mason
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2019-05-08 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Mason; +Cc: linux-kernel, iommu, x86, Christoph Hellwig, Muli Ben-Yehuda

On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 06:42:39PM +0100, Jon Mason wrote:
> These systems were plentiful for 2-4 years after the original series
> made it in.  After that, the Intel and AMD IOMMUs should were shipped
> and were superior to this chip.  So, even in systems where these might
> be present, the AMD/Intel ones should be used (unknown if they were
> shipped on the same ones, as both Muli and I have left IBM).
> 
> You thinking about removing the code?

I'm wondering if we could remove it.  I've been done lots of
maintainance on various dma mapping and iommu drivers, and the calgary
one seems like it didn't get a whole lot of love, and I've not seen
any recent users, so I mostly wonder if I should bother at all.
_______________________________________________
iommu mailing list
iommu@lists.linux-foundation.org
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/iommu

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: status of the calgary iommu driver
  2019-05-08 17:52   ` Christoph Hellwig
@ 2019-05-08 17:56     ` Jon Mason
  2019-05-08 17:59       ` Christoph Hellwig
  2019-06-14 13:03       ` Christoph Hellwig
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Jon Mason @ 2019-05-08 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig; +Cc: iommu, x86, linux-kernel, Muli Ben-Yehuda

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 6:52 PM Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de> wrote:
>
> On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 06:42:39PM +0100, Jon Mason wrote:
> > These systems were plentiful for 2-4 years after the original series
> > made it in.  After that, the Intel and AMD IOMMUs should were shipped
> > and were superior to this chip.  So, even in systems where these might
> > be present, the AMD/Intel ones should be used (unknown if they were
> > shipped on the same ones, as both Muli and I have left IBM).
> >
> > You thinking about removing the code?
>
> I'm wondering if we could remove it.  I've been done lots of
> maintainance on various dma mapping and iommu drivers, and the calgary
> one seems like it didn't get a whole lot of love, and I've not seen
> any recent users, so I mostly wonder if I should bother at all.


I do have a system.  So, it could be tested.  However given the age of
the HW, I would say it is not worth the effort to update and it would
be best to remove it from the kernel.

I can send a patch to do this, unless you would prefer to do it (or
already have something handy).

Thanks,
Jon
_______________________________________________
iommu mailing list
iommu@lists.linux-foundation.org
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/iommu

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: status of the calgary iommu driver
  2019-05-08 17:56     ` Jon Mason
@ 2019-05-08 17:59       ` Christoph Hellwig
  2019-06-14 13:03       ` Christoph Hellwig
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2019-05-08 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Mason; +Cc: linux-kernel, iommu, x86, Christoph Hellwig, Muli Ben-Yehuda

On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 06:56:46PM +0100, Jon Mason wrote:
> I do have a system.  So, it could be tested.  However given the age of
> the HW, I would say it is not worth the effort to update and it would
> be best to remove it from the kernel.
> 
> I can send a patch to do this, unless you would prefer to do it (or
> already have something handy).

I don't have anything, and at least to me it is not urgent.  So feel
free to send it.
_______________________________________________
iommu mailing list
iommu@lists.linux-foundation.org
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/iommu

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: status of the calgary iommu driver
  2019-05-08 17:56     ` Jon Mason
  2019-05-08 17:59       ` Christoph Hellwig
@ 2019-06-14 13:03       ` Christoph Hellwig
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2019-06-14 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Mason; +Cc: linux-kernel, iommu, x86, Christoph Hellwig, Muli Ben-Yehuda

On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 06:56:46PM +0100, Jon Mason wrote:
> I do have a system.  So, it could be tested.  However given the age of
> the HW, I would say it is not worth the effort to update and it would
> be best to remove it from the kernel.
> 
> I can send a patch to do this, unless you would prefer to do it (or
> already have something handy).

Do you still plan to send that patch?
_______________________________________________
iommu mailing list
iommu@lists.linux-foundation.org
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/iommu

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 7+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2019-04-09 14:03 status of the calgary iommu driver Christoph Hellwig
2019-04-09 14:03 ` Christoph Hellwig
2019-05-08 17:42 ` Jon Mason
2019-05-08 17:52   ` Christoph Hellwig
2019-05-08 17:56     ` Jon Mason
2019-05-08 17:59       ` Christoph Hellwig
2019-06-14 13:03       ` Christoph Hellwig

IOMMU Archive on lore.kernel.org

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/linux-iommu/0 linux-iommu/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 linux-iommu linux-iommu/ https://lore.kernel.org/linux-iommu \
		iommu@lists.linux-foundation.org iommu@archiver.kernel.org
	public-inbox-index linux-iommu


Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://nntp.lore.kernel.org/org.linux-foundation.lists.iommu


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/ public-inbox