iommu.lists.linux-foundation.org archive mirror
From: Jonathan Lemon <jonathan.lemon@gmail.com>
To: Robin Murphy <robin.murphy@arm.com>
Cc: netdev@vger.kernel.org, iommu@lists.linux-foundation.org,
	"Björn Töpel" <bjorn.topel@intel.com>,
	"Christoph Hellwig" <hch@lst.de>
Subject: Re: the XSK buffer pool needs be to reverted
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2020 12:59:25 -0700	[thread overview]

On Wed, Jul 01, 2020 at 10:46:40AM +0100, Robin Murphy wrote:
> On 2020-06-30 20:08, Jonathan Lemon wrote:

> > > Right - I don't know too much about older and more esoteric stuff like POWER
> > > TCE, but for modern pagetable-based stuff like Intel VT-d, AMD-Vi, and Arm
> > > SMMU, the only "limits" are such that legitimate DMA API use should never
> > > get anywhere near them (you'd run out of RAM for actual buffers long
> > > beforehand). The most vaguely-realistic concern might be a pathological
> > > system topology where some old 32-bit PCI device doesn't have ACS isolation
> > > from your high-performance NIC such that they have to share an address
> > > space, where the NIC might happen to steal all the low addresses and prevent
> > > the soundcard or whatever from being able to map a usable buffer.
> > >
> > > With an IOMMU, you typically really *want* to keep a full working set's
> > > worth of pages mapped, since dma_map/unmap are expensive while dma_sync is
> > > somewhere between relatively cheap and free. With no IOMMU it makes no real
> > > difference from the DMA API perspective since map/unmap are effectively no
> > > more than the equivalent sync operations anyway (I'm assuming we're not
> > > talking about the kind of constrained hardware that might need SWIOTLB).

> > > Again I can't speak for non-mainstream stuff outside drivers/iommu, but it's
> > > been over 4 years now since merging the initial scalability work for the
> > > generic IOVA allocator there that focused on minimising lock contention, and
> > > it's had considerable evaluation and tweaking since. But if we can achieve
> > > the goal of efficiently recycling mapped buffers then we shouldn't need to
> > > go anywhere near IOVA allocation either way except when expanding the pool.
> >

> > I'm running a set of patches which uses the page pool to try and keep
> > all the RX buffers mapped as the skb goes up the stack, returning the
> > pages to the pool when the skb is freed.
> >
> > On a dual-socket 12-core Intel machine (48 processors), and 256G of
> > memory, when iommu is enabled, I see the following from 'perf top -U',
> > as the hottest function being run:
> >
> > -   43.42%  worker      [k] queued_spin_lock_slowpath
> >     - 43.42% queued_spin_lock_slowpath
> >        - 41.69% _raw_spin_lock_irqsave
> >           + 41.39% alloc_iova
> >           + 0.28% iova_magazine_free_pfns
> >        + 1.07% lock_sock_nested
> >
> > Which likely is heavy contention on the iovad->iova_rbtree_lock.
> > (This is on a 5.6 based system, BTW).  More scripts and data are below.
> > Is there a way to reduce the contention here?
>
> Hmm, how big are your DMA mappings? If you're still hitting the rbtree a
> lot, that most likely implies that either you're making giant IOVA
> allocations that are too big to be cached, or you're allocating/freeing
> IOVAs in a pathological pattern that defeats the whole magazine cache
> mechanism (It's optimised for relatively-balanced allocation and freeing of
> sizes up order 6). On a further hunch, does the "intel_iommu=forcedac"
> option make any difference at all?

The allocations are only 4K in size (packet memory) but there are a lot
of them.  I tried running with "forcedac" over the weekend, and that
seems to have made a huge difference.  Why the name of 'forcedac'?  It
would seem this should be the default for a system with a sane 64-bit PCI
device.

> Either way if this persists after some initial warm-up period, it further
> implies that the page pool is not doing its job properly (or at least in the
> way I would have expected). The alloc_iova() call is part of the dma_map_*()
> overhead, and if the aim is to keep pages mapped then that should only be
> called relatively infrequently. The optimal behaviour would be to dma_map()
> new clean pages as they are added to the pool, use dma_sync() when they are
> claimed and returned by the driver, and only dma_unmap() if they're actually
> freed back to the page allocator. And if you're still seeing a lot of
> dma_map/unmap time after that, then the pool itself is churning pages and
> clearly needs its size/thresholds tuning.

Most of the dma_map() overhead is coming from the TX path, which isn't
using the page_pool.

With the RX datapath I'm using, pages are returned to the pool in a
non-napi context (so they enter the ring), then the driver refills the
cache from the ring.  I'm seeing a 1% overflow (ring_full), so the
default size seems appropriate.  The single ring lock is likely a
problem, but can be addressed now that things aren't blowing up in
alloc_iova().

From a box with the mlx4 driver + persistent page pool:

     rx_alloc_pages: 35239524767
     cache_hit: 34381377143