iommu.lists.linux-foundation.org archive mirror
From: Jean-Philippe Brucker <jean-philippe@linaro.org>
To: Jacob Pan <jacob.jun.pan@linux.intel.com>
Cc: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@intel.com>,
	"Raj, Ashok" <ashok.raj@intel.com>,
	Jean-Philippe Brucker <jean-philippe.brucker@arm.com>,
	"Lu, Baolu" <baolu.lu@intel.com>,
	"iommu@lists.linux-foundation.org"
	<iommu@lists.linux-foundation.org>, "Wu, Hao" <hao.wu@intel.com>
Subject: Re: IOASID set token
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2020 12:07:18 +0200	[thread overview]

On Mon, Jul 06, 2020 at 01:51:37PM -0700, Jacob Pan wrote:
> Hi Jean,
> Thanks for the feedback, please see replies inline.
>
> On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 12:30:41 +0200
> Jean-Philippe Brucker <jean-philippe@linaro.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi Jacob,
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 02, 2020 at 06:48:25AM -0700, Jacob Pan wrote:
> > > Hi Jean,
> > >
> > > Just realized I should send this to your Linaro account instead of
> > > ARM. So Hi again :)

> > I don't see this as a problem. The token type is tied to the IOASID
> > set, so users that pass those IOASID sets to ioasid_find() can safely
> > assume that the returned pointer is an mm_struct. That said I'm not
> > opposed to consolidating the API with explicit types, it could
> > definitely be more elegant.
> >
> In our use case, we need token to ioasid_set lookup. e.g. VFIO creates
> an ioasid_set with a token. KVM instance needs to know the
> ioasid_set based on its mm. So ioasid_find() does not know the set
> until it finds it based on the token and token type.

Right, I mixed up "token" with the private data associated with each
IOASID. I had mostly forgotten about the principles you introduced in the
"IOASID extensions for guest SVA" series, sorry for the confusion.

> > In my current implementation of auxiliary domains for Arm SMMU (which
> > might never be useful enough to go upstream) I don't even use a token
> > for the private IOASID set. However I still think we should leave the
> > option to use a type different than mm_struct as token for some
> > IOASID sets because device drivers (e.g. AMD kfd) may also want to
> > dip into the IOASID space and use their own token type.
> >
> > For the moment, though, we could actually specialize the IOASID API to
> > only take an mm_struct as token.
> That would be fine with VT-d. We can use init_mm for host PASID set,
> process mm for VM set.

I'm not fond of using init_mm for the host PASID set. Does it need a token
at all?

> > For example the functions exported
> > by the IOASID lib would be:
> >
> >   ioasid_t ioasid_alloc_mm(set, min, max, struct mm_struct *mm)
> what is the set argument used for? In my view, ioasid_set and mm are
> 1:1 mapped.

Please disregard this, it was replacing the void* argument of
ioasid_alloc() with an mm_struct.

> struct ioasid_set *ioasid_alloc_set(void *token, ioasid_t quota)
>

> I was thinking we still have APIs for IOASID set alloc/free since we
> want to embed ioasid_set info in driver data structures for ownership
> check.
>
> >   struct mm_struct *ioasid_find_mm(set, ioasid)
> I don't get why we need ioasid to find the set token. If we put
> mm_struct* inside ioasid_set, then we can get the token from the set
> directly.

Same here, this was replacing the void* returned by ioasid_find() with an
mm_struct.

> > And ioasid_alloc(), ioasid_find(), etc would be internal to ioasid.c
> > and deal with IOASID_SET_TYPE_MM (or even be removed entirely for
> > now). New users that need different token types could then introduce
> > their own IOASID_SET_TYPE_* and use the lower-level functions.
> >
> I will keep that in mind in my next set. I think it would be much
> easier to explain with code.
>
> My takeaway is that we have a high-level agreement to have explicit mm
> as token in IOASID APIs. I think we can work out the details with
> patches.

Yes I think it would be easier to discuss with code.

Thanks,
Jean