On Thu, 2020-10-15 at 22:26 +0800, Hanjun Guo wrote: > On 2020/10/15 3:12, Nicolas Saenz Julienne wrote: > > From: Ard Biesheuvel > > > > We recently introduced a 1 GB sized ZONE_DMA to cater for platforms > > incorporating masters that can address less than 32 bits of DMA, in > > particular the Raspberry Pi 4, which has 4 or 8 GB of DRAM, but has > > peripherals that can only address up to 1 GB (and its PCIe host > > bridge can only access the bottom 3 GB) > > > > Instructing the DMA layer about these limitations is straight-forward, > > even though we had to fix some issues regarding memory limits set in > > the IORT for named components, and regarding the handling of ACPI _DMA > > methods. However, the DMA layer also needs to be able to allocate > > memory that is guaranteed to meet those DMA constraints, for bounce > > buffering as well as allocating the backing for consistent mappings. > > > > This is why the 1 GB ZONE_DMA was introduced recently. Unfortunately, > > it turns out the having a 1 GB ZONE_DMA as well as a ZONE_DMA32 causes > > problems with kdump, and potentially in other places where allocations > > cannot cross zone boundaries. Therefore, we should avoid having two > > separate DMA zones when possible. > > > > So let's do an early scan of the IORT, and only create the ZONE_DMA > > if we encounter any devices that need it. This puts the burden on > > the firmware to describe such limitations in the IORT, which may be > > redundant (and less precise) if _DMA methods are also being provided. > > However, it should be noted that this situation is highly unusual for > > arm64 ACPI machines. Also, the DMA subsystem still gives precedence to > > the _DMA method if implemented, and so we will not lose the ability to > > perform streaming DMA outside the ZONE_DMA if the _DMA method permits > > it. > > Sorry, I'm still a little bit confused. With this patch, if we have > a device which set the right _DMA method (DMA size >= 32), but with the > wrong DMA size in IORT, we still have the ZONE_DMA created which > is actually not needed? Yes, that would be the case. Regards, Nicolas