On Thu, 2017-09-14 at 14:33 -0700, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote: > The last firmware change for the in-kernel firmware source code was back > in 2013.  Everyone has been relying on the out-of-tree linux-firmware > package for a long long time. > > So let's drop it, it's baggage we don't need to keep dragging around > (and having to fix random kbuild issues over time...) > > Cc: David Woodhouse > Cc: Kyle McMartin > Cc: Andrew Morton > Cc: Michal Marek > Cc: Masahiro Yamada > Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman > --- > > This has gone on too long, let's just drop it for 4.14.  Any objections? Acked-by: David Woodhouse This has been the plan for a very long time, and we even agreed to do it at the Kernel Summit in Boston. ISTR there was one final technical thing we wanted to fix for the out-of-kernel tree which stopped me from sending the patch that day, but that's long since irrelevant now. Let's do it. Thanks.