linux-kernel-mentees.lists.linuxfoundation.org archive mirror
* [Linux-kernel-mentees] We should settle on a name for the new DVB virtual driver.
@ 2020-03-25 20:00 Daniel W. S. Almeida
From: Daniel W. S. Almeida @ 2020-03-25 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab; +Cc: linux-media, linux-kernel-mentees, sean

It has come to my attention that this patch  -
https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/62494/  - has reorganized a few
directories in the media tree, pushing test drivers into their own
directory.

In an effort to reduce the amount of renaming down the line, and also to
adapt to the new structure presented above I think it is a good time to
come up with a name for the DVB virtual driver. It might also be a good
idea to move it to its own directory as well while we're at it.

My personal preference is vidvb, which is somewhat in line with the
naming scheme used by other virtual drivers for the media subsystem.

Please chime in.

Thanks.

- Daniel.

* Re: [Linux-kernel-mentees] We should settle on a name for the new DVB virtual driver.
@ 2020-03-25 20:45 ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2020-03-25 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel W. S. Almeida; +Cc: linux-media, linux-kernel-mentees, sean

Em Wed, 25 Mar 2020 17:00:30 -0300
"Daniel W. S. Almeida" <dwlsalmeida@gmail.com> escreveu:

> It has come to my attention that this patch  -
> https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/62494/  - has reorganized a few
> directories in the media tree, pushing test drivers into their own
> directory.

True. Please notice that this was not applied yet. It may suffer some
changes, but yeah, it makes sense to have a separate directory for
test drivers.

> In an effort to reduce the amount of renaming down the line, and also to
> adapt to the new structure presented above I think it is a good time to
> come up with a name for the DVB virtual driver. It might also be a good
> idea to move it to its own directory as well while we're at it.

Yes, agreed.

> My personal preference is vidvb, which is somewhat in line with the
> naming scheme used by other virtual drivers for the media subsystem.

"vidvb" works for me, but maybe "vidtv" would even be better.

Regards,
Mauro

Thanks,
Mauro