linux-kernel-mentees.lists.linuxfoundation.org archive mirror
* Re: Regarding Linux Kernel: Checkpatch Documentation
       [not found] <CAJFG7WW=B9FNnDZSGM80vkCJ1R9n-_TKLkB6BYAzXxNGvwGo1w@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-08-22 18:25 ` Dwaipayan Ray
From: Dwaipayan Ray @ 2021-08-22 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shantanu Shukla; +Cc: linux-kernel-mentees

On Sun, Aug 15, 2021 at 1:51 AM Shantanu Shukla
<shantanushukla64@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am interested in the Checkpatch Documentation mentorship program and I would like to work on the tasks for the mentee selection.

Thanks for your interest in working with the checkpatch documentation.

The zeroth task is to learn suitable netiquette for the communication with
the kernel community. Below are some basic rules and pointers for this
mentorship. More information on kernel netiquette is also at
https://people.kernel.org/tglx/notes-about-netiquette.

First, please do not top-post.

    A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.

    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    A: The lost context.
    Q: What makes top-posted replies harder to read than bottom-posted?

    A: Yes.
    Q: Should I trim down the quoted part of an email to which I'm replying?

Second, please always CC: linux-kernel-mentees@lists.linuxfoundation.org.

Third, set up your email client according to the kernel community
rules. Here is some information to that:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/submitting-patches.html#no-mime-no-links-no-compression-no-attachments-just-plain-text
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/email-clients.html

Generally more information on submitting patches and responding on
replies is at https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/submitting-patches.html

Once the zeroth task is understood, you can now move on to the first
task: Running checkpatch on a specific file.

Get a clone of the Linux kernel repository.
The script checkpatch.pl is under the scripts directory.

Then, the first task is to run checkpatch.pl on a few files below
and share the results:

drivers/net/dsa/qca/ar9331.c:217
drivers/dma-buf/st-dma-fence.c

Which information on these rules that checkpatch warns about
is available in the Checkpatch Documentation?

If documentation of these rules is available, explain your
understanding of the rules in your own words.
If no information is available in the documentation,
explain your understanding of the rule.

In any case, explain the violation that is checked and raised in the
checkpatch script, i.e., what is implemented in checkpatch to check
the rule and possible violations. Which code in the checkpatch script
is raising the warning? What does it check and how is that
implemented?

Explain how to possibly fix this code with regards to that violation.

Once you succeed on this first task, we inform you about the further
second and third task. If you fail on any of those tasks, you are out
of the selection process.

The selection of the mentee will happen according to schedule,
at earliest on August 12th and at latest at the end of August.
More information is available at
https://docs.linuxfoundation.org/lfx/mentorship/mentorship-program-timelines.

All the best,
Dwaipayan.

* Regarding Linux Kernel: Checkpatch Documentation
@ 2021-05-05  3:32 Shubham
From: Shubham @ 2021-05-05  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dwaipayanray1; +Cc: linux-kernel-mentees

Hello Dear Dwaipayan,

I am Shubham Verma, a B.Tech final year, Information Technology undergraduate
student at Engineering College Bikaner. I would like to look into working with
LFX Mentorship Program. I want to work on the "Linux Kernel: Checkpatch
Documentation" project.

I have a good understanding of software engineering-related methodologies,
tools, and usages. and I also contributed to git organization and have a good
understanding of Git version control and writing tests. From previous personal
experiments, college projects, and internships, I gain experience in writing
technical reports, documentation (functions, classes, use cases, …)
for projects,
etc. and I have substantial experience in working with C/C++, Python, Object
-Oriented Programming, Data Structure and can easily implement algorithms.

Please give me some idea about how I can start working on this project?
I wanted to know what other things I have to do to be part of an organization.

I recently contributed to the Git organization and please look at my work.
https://github.com/git/git/commit/fbad3505eee2f58ec010b01bdd005ff4d36b5c01
https://github.com/git/git/commit/44e03bfdb694d17b832965400061948ef8f209e7

I would be grateful if you can tell me if there's anything else that I
could do which
would be appreciated. Any further guidance or inputs would certainly
be of great help.

Thank You!