linux-kernel-mentees.lists.linuxfoundation.org archive mirror
* [Linux-kernel-mentees] Checkpatch.pl tasks for Community Bridge Program
@ 2020-10-12  9:38 Aditya Srivastava
From: Aditya Srivastava @ 2020-10-12  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel-mentees

Dear Sir/Ma'am
I have performed some tasks on Checkpatch.pl to find out the aggregate and
summary of Errors and Warnings that have been generated on certain Linux
Kernel Versions' commits . The summary of my tasks are as follows:
1. Task1: Create a list of all non-merge commits that were added in the
version v5.8 but were not there in v5.7. Run checkpatch.pl script on these
commits and create a statistical summary of findings.
My findings:
https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task1/reports/aggregate_report/analysis/summary.txt
My Scripts for this task:
https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/tree/master/Task1

2. Task2: Test what are errors and warnings by checkpatch.pl reports on
v5.6..v5.8. Generate a report with respect to changes suggested by
Dwaipayan Ray (
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kernel-mentees/20201007192029.551744-1-dwaipayanray1@gmail.com/),
to present the differences in a suitable aggregated form, to find out the
kind of errors and warnings that are changing.

My Findings:
Change in the number of warnings and errors:
https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/relative_change/summary_relative.txt

Individual summary report generated by checkpatch.pl:
After the commit:
https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/after_commit/summary_after_commit.txt

Before the commit:
https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/before_commit/summary_before_commit.txt

Scripts used for this task:
https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/tree/master/Task2

Thanks and Regards
Aditya

* Re: [Linux-kernel-mentees] Checkpatch.pl tasks for Community Bridge Program
@ 2020-10-12 12:57 ` Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2020-10-12 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aditya Srivastava; +Cc: linux-kernel-mentees

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 11:38 AM Aditya Srivastava <yashsri421@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Sir/Ma'am
> I have performed some tasks on Checkpatch.pl to find out the aggregate and summary of Errors and Warnings that have been generated on certain Linux Kernel Versions' commits . The summary of my tasks are as follows:
> 1. Task1: Create a list of all non-merge commits that were added in the version v5.8 but were not there in v5.7. Run checkpatch.pl script on these commits and create a statistical summary of findings.
> My findings: https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task1/reports/aggregate_report/analysis/summary.txt
> My Scripts for this task: https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/tree/master/Task1
>
> 2. Task2: Test what are errors and warnings by checkpatch.pl reports on v5.6..v5.8. Generate a report with respect to changes suggested by Dwaipayan Ray (https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kernel-mentees/20201007192029.551744-1-dwaipayanray1@gmail.com/), to present the differences in a suitable aggregated form, to find out the kind of errors and warnings that are changing.
>
> My Findings:
> Change in the number of warnings and errors: https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/relative_change/summary_relative.txt
>
> Individual summary report generated by checkpatch.pl:
> After the commit: https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/after_commit/summary_after_commit.txt
>
> Before the commit: https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/before_commit/summary_before_commit.txt
>
> Scripts used for this task: https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/tree/master/Task2

Your email client is broken; you cannot send emails to a kernel
mailing list with this email setup. I will not bother to use a proper
email client either :)

summary at

https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/relative_change/summary_relative.txt

looks good.

Dwaipayan probably needs to look into the details here.

E.g., why did those really unrelated issues change?

AVOID_BUG 240 239
TYPO_SPELLING 536 537

Let us see if we can make sense of this evaluation.

Lukas

* Re: [Linux-kernel-mentees] Checkpatch.pl tasks for Community Bridge Program
@ 2020-10-12 18:23   ` Dwaipayan Ray
From: Dwaipayan Ray @ 2020-10-12 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukas Bulwahn, Aditya Srivastava; +Cc: linux-kernel-mentees

On 12/10/20 6:27 pm, Lukas Bulwahn wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 11:38 AM Aditya Srivastava <yashsri421@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear Sir/Ma'am
>> I have performed some tasks on Checkpatch.pl to find out the aggregate and summary of Errors and Warnings that have been generated on certain Linux Kernel Versions' commits . The summary of my tasks are as follows:
>> 1. Task1: Create a list of all non-merge commits that were added in the version v5.8 but were not there in v5.7. Run checkpatch.pl script on these commits and create a statistical summary of findings.
>> My findings: https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task1/reports/aggregate_report/analysis/summary.txt
>> My Scripts for this task: https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/tree/master/Task1
>>
>> 2. Task2: Test what are errors and warnings by checkpatch.pl reports on v5.6..v5.8. Generate a report with respect to changes suggested by Dwaipayan Ray (https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kernel-mentees/20201007192029.551744-1-dwaipayanray1@gmail.com/), to present the differences in a suitable aggregated form, to find out the kind of errors and warnings that are changing.
>>
>> My Findings:
>> Change in the number of warnings and errors: https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/relative_change/summary_relative.txt
>>
>> Individual summary report generated by checkpatch.pl:
>> After the commit: https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/after_commit/summary_after_commit.txt
>>
>> Before the commit: https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/before_commit/summary_before_commit.txt
>>
>> Scripts used for this task: https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/tree/master/Task2
>>
> Your email client is broken; you cannot send emails to a kernel
> mailing list with this email setup. I will not bother to use a proper
> email client either :)
>
> summary at
>
> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/relative_change/summary_relative.txt
>
> looks good.
>
> Dwaipayan probably needs to look into the details here.
>
> E.g., why did those really unrelated issues change?
>
> AVOID_BUG 240 239
> TYPO_SPELLING 536 537

Ya, this shouldn't happen.

I checked the reports, and the new warnings appear as expected.

Could Aditya perhaps find out which errors in this case have changed?

Regards, Dwaipayan.

@ 2020-10-12 18:28     ` Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2020-10-12 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dwaipayan Ray; +Cc: linux-kernel-mentees, Aditya Srivastava

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 8:23 PM Dwaipayan Ray <dwaipayanray1@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/10/20 6:27 pm, Lukas Bulwahn wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 11:38 AM Aditya Srivastava <yashsri421@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Dear Sir/Ma'am
> >> I have performed some tasks on Checkpatch.pl to find out the aggregate and summary of Errors and Warnings that have been generated on certain Linux Kernel Versions' commits . The summary of my tasks are as follows:
> >> 1. Task1: Create a list of all non-merge commits that were added in the version v5.8 but were not there in v5.7. Run checkpatch.pl script on these commits and create a statistical summary of findings.
> >> My findings: https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task1/reports/aggregate_report/analysis/summary.txt
> >> My Scripts for this task: https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/tree/master/Task1
> >>
> >> 2. Task2: Test what are errors and warnings by checkpatch.pl reports on v5.6..v5.8. Generate a report with respect to changes suggested by Dwaipayan Ray (https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kernel-mentees/20201007192029.551744-1-dwaipayanray1@gmail.com/), to present the differences in a suitable aggregated form, to find out the kind of errors and warnings that are changing.
> >>
> >> My Findings:
> >> Change in the number of warnings and errors: https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/relative_change/summary_relative.txt
> >>
> >> Individual summary report generated by checkpatch.pl:
> >> After the commit: https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/after_commit/summary_after_commit.txt
> >>
> >> Before the commit: https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/before_commit/summary_before_commit.txt
> >>
> >> Scripts used for this task: https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/tree/master/Task2
> >>
> > Your email client is broken; you cannot send emails to a kernel
> > mailing list with this email setup. I will not bother to use a proper
> > email client either :)
> >
> > summary at
> >
> > https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/relative_change/summary_relative.txt
> >
> > looks good.
> >
> > Dwaipayan probably needs to look into the details here.
> >
> > E.g., why did those really unrelated issues change?
> >
> > AVOID_BUG 240 239
> > TYPO_SPELLING 536 537
>
> Ya, this shouldn't happen.
>
> I checked the reports, and the new warnings appear as expected.
>
> Could Aditya perhaps find out which errors in this case have changed?

Dwaipayan, you can ask Aditya directly :)

Aditya, can you help us and tell us which AVOID_BUG remained the same,
which appeared, and which disappeared?

And the same for TYPO_SPELLING.

Lukas

* Re: [Linux-kernel-mentees] Checkpatch.pl tasks for Community Bridge Program
@ 2020-10-12 21:11       ` Aditya Srivastava
From: Aditya Srivastava @ 2020-10-12 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dwaipayanray1; +Cc: linux-kernel-mentees

On Mon 12 Oct, 2020, 11:58 PM Lukas Bulwahn, <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 8:23 PM Dwaipayan Ray <dwaipayanray1@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On 12/10/20 6:27 pm, Lukas Bulwahn wrote:
> aggregate and summary of Errors and Warnings that have been generated on
> certain Linux Kernel Versions' commits . The summary of my tasks are as
> follows:
> the version v5.8 but were not there in v5.7. Run checkpatch.pl script on
> these commits and create a statistical summary of findings.
> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task1/reports/aggregate_report/analysis/summary.txt
> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/tree/master/Task1

> on v5.6..v5.8. Generate a report with respect to changes suggested by
> Dwaipayan Ray (
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kernel-mentees/20201007192029.551744-1-dwaipayanray1@gmail.com/),
> to present the differences in a suitable aggregated form, to find out the
> kind of errors and warnings that are changing.

> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/relative_change/summary_relative.txt

> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/after_commit/summary_after_commit.txt

> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/before_commit/summary_before_commit.txt

> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/tree/master/Task2
> > >>
> > > Your email client is broken; you cannot send emails to a kernel
> > > mailing list with this email setup. I will not bother to use a proper
> > > email client either :)
> > >
> > > summary at
> > >

> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/relative_change/summary_relative.txt
> > >
> > > looks good.
> > >
> > > Dwaipayan probably needs to look into the details here.
> > >
> > > E.g., why did those really unrelated issues change?
> > >
> > > AVOID_BUG 240 239
> > > TYPO_SPELLING 536 537
> >
> > Ya, this shouldn't happen.
> >
> > I checked the reports, and the new warnings appear as expected.
> >
> > Could Aditya perhaps find out which errors in this case have changed?
> >

> Dwaipayan, you can ask Aditya directly :)
>
> Aditya, can you help us and tell us which AVOID_BUG remained the same,
> which appeared, and which disappeared?
>
> And the same for TYPO_SPELLING.
>
> Lukas

Sure thing sir. But currently I can't access these files as my laptop's
hardware is broken. I'll get it repaired tomorrow morning  and will be on
it by the evening.
Really sorry for the inconvenience caused.

@ 2020-10-14  7:10         ` Aditya
From: Aditya @ 2020-10-14  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dwaipayanray1; +Cc: linux-kernel-mentees

On 13/10/20 2:41 am, Aditya Srivastava wrote:
> On Mon 12 Oct, 2020, 11:58 PM Lukas Bulwahn, <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 8:23 PM Dwaipayan Ray <dwaipayanray1@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> aggregate and summary of Errors and Warnings that have been generated on
>> certain Linux Kernel Versions' commits . The summary of my tasks are as
>> follows:
>> the version v5.8 but were not there in v5.7. Run checkpatch.pl script on
>> these commits and create a statistical summary of findings.
>> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task1/reports/aggregate_report/analysis/summary.txt
>> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/tree/master/Task1
>> on v5.6..v5.8. Generate a report with respect to changes suggested by
>> Dwaipayan Ray (
>> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kernel-mentees/20201007192029.551744-1-dwaipayanray1@gmail.com/),
>> to present the differences in a suitable aggregated form, to find out the
>> kind of errors and warnings that are changing.
>> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/relative_change/summary_relative.txt
>> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/after_commit/summary_after_commit.txt
>> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/before_commit/summary_before_commit.txt
>> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/tree/master/Task2

>> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/relative_change/summary_relative.txt

>>> Ya, this shouldn't happen.
>>>
>>> I checked the reports, and the new warnings appear as expected.
>>>
>>> Could Aditya perhaps find out which errors in this case have changed?
>>>
>> Dwaipayan, you can ask Aditya directly :)
>>
>> Aditya, can you help us and tell us which AVOID_BUG remained the same,
>> which appeared, and which disappeared?
>>
>> And the same for TYPO_SPELLING.
>>
>> Lukas

Hi Sir,

I checked the warnings for AVOID_BUG and TYPO_SPELLING and I can confirm that they are occurring equally in both the cases(before and after the commit). The missed warning was just not in the expected format, in the report file.

For Eg. AVOID_BUG occurred as "cWARNING:AVOID_BUG: Avoid crash", but I was expecting the line to start with "WARNING:" or "ERROR:". This is why, this warning was not counted. Similar is the case for TYPO_SPELLING.

This probably happened because of multi-threading. To counter such occurrences, I have regenerated the summary report using regex. The summary can be found at the same url ie: https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/relative_change/summary_relative.txt

Kindly let me know if you have any questions.

@ 2020-10-14  7:22           ` Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2020-10-14  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aditya; +Cc: dwaipayanray1, linux-kernel-mentees

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020, Aditya wrote:

> On 13/10/20 2:41 am, Aditya Srivastava wrote:
> > On Mon 12 Oct, 2020, 11:58 PM Lukas Bulwahn, <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> aggregate and summary of Errors and Warnings that have been generated on
> >> certain Linux Kernel Versions' commits . The summary of my tasks are as
> >> follows:
> >> the version v5.8 but were not there in v5.7. Run checkpatch.pl script on
> >> these commits and create a statistical summary of findings.
> >> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task1/reports/aggregate_report/analysis/summary.txt
> >> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/tree/master/Task1
> >> on v5.6..v5.8. Generate a report with respect to changes suggested by
> >> Dwaipayan Ray (
> >> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kernel-mentees/20201007192029.551744-1-dwaipayanray1@gmail.com/),
> >> to present the differences in a suitable aggregated form, to find out the
> >> kind of errors and warnings that are changing.
> >> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/relative_change/summary_relative.txt
> >> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/after_commit/summary_after_commit.txt
> >> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/before_commit/summary_before_commit.txt
> >> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/tree/master/Task2

> >> https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/relative_change/summary_relative.txt

> >> Dwaipayan, you can ask Aditya directly :)
> >>
> >> Aditya, can you help us and tell us which AVOID_BUG remained the same,
> >> which appeared, and which disappeared?
> >>
> >> And the same for TYPO_SPELLING.
> >>
> >> Lukas

Aditya, your email client setup is still broken.

> Hi Sir,
>
> I checked the warnings for AVOID_BUG and TYPO_SPELLING and I can confirm that they are occurring equally in both the cases(before and after the commit). The missed warning was just not in the expected format, in the report file.
>
> For Eg. AVOID_BUG occurred as "cWARNING:AVOID_BUG: Avoid crash", but I was expecting the line to start with "WARNING:" or "ERROR:". This is why, this warning was not counted. Similar is the case for TYPO_SPELLING.
>
> This probably happened because of multi-threading. To counter such occurrences, I have regenerated the summary report using regex. The summary can be found at the same url ie: https://github.com/AdityaSrivast/kernel-tasks/blob/master/Task2/reports/analysis/relative_change/summary_relative.txt
>
> Kindly let me know if you have any questions.

Can you apply Dwaipayan's fix patch and re-run your evaluation?

Lukas