linux-kselftest.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Brendan Higgins <brendanhiggins@google.com>
To: helpdesk@kernel.org
Cc: kunit-dev@googlegroups.com, linux-kselftest@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Bugzilla Component for KUnit?
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 14:53:51 -0700	[thread overview]

Hi,

I am thinking about requesting a Bugzilla component for my kernel
project KUnit. I am not sure if this is the right place for it.  Some
background on KUnit: We are working on adding unit testing for the Linux
kernel[1][2]. We have our initial patchset that introduces the subsystem
in the process of being merged (Linus sent our PR back to us for a minor
fix[3], so it should be in either 5.4-rc2 or 5.5, but is nevertheless in
linux-next). However, we also have a staging repo that people are using
and some supporting code that lives outside of the kernel.

So I am trying to figure out:

 1. Is it appropriate to request a Bugzilla component before our
    subsystem has been merged into torvalds/master? I would just wait,
    but I have some users looking to file issues, so I would prefer to
    provide them something sooner rather than later.

 2. Is it appropriate to use the kernel's Bugzilla to track issues
    outside of the Linux kernel? As I mention above, we have code that
    lives outside of the kernel; is it appropriate to use kernel.org's
    Bugzilla for this?

 3. Does Bugzilla match my planned usage model? It doesn't look like
    Bugzilla get's much usage aside from reporting bugs. I want to use
    it for tracking feature progress and things like that. Is that okay?

If kernel.org's Bugzilla is not a fit for what I want to do, that's
fine. I just want to make sure before I go off and potentially fracture
a central bug repository by creating my own somewhere else.

Thanks!

[1] https://lwn.net/Articles/780985/
[2] https://google.github.io/kunit-docs/third_party/kernel/docs/index.html
[3] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/be8059f4-8e8f-cd18-0978-a9c861f6396b@linuxfoundation.org/