linux-kselftest.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
From: "Theodore Y. Ts'o" <tytso@mit.edu>
To: Brendan Higgins <brendanhiggins@google.com>
Cc: shuah@kernel.org, john.johansen@canonical.com, jmorris@namei.org,
	serge@hallyn.com, keescook@chromium.org, alan.maguire@oracle.com,
	yzaikin@google.com, davidgow@google.com, mcgrof@kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org,
	linux-security-module@vger.kernel.org,
	kunit-dev@googlegroups.com, linux-kselftest@vger.kernel.org,
	Mike Salvatore <mike.salvatore@canonical.com>
Subject: Re: [PATCH linux-kselftest/test v1] apparmor: add AppArmor KUnit tests for policy unpack
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 12:25:19 -0400	[thread overview]
Message-ID: <20191018162519.GH21137@mit.edu> (raw)
In-Reply-To: <20191018004307.GA95597@google.com>

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 05:43:07PM -0700, Brendan Higgins wrote:
> > +config SECURITY_APPARMOR_TEST
> > +	bool "Build KUnit tests for policy_unpack.c"
> > +	default n
> > +	depends on KUNIT && SECURITY_APPARMOR
> 
> Ted, here is an example where doing select on direct dependencies is
> tricky because SECURITY_APPARMOR has a number of indirect dependencies.

Well, that could be solved by adding a select on all of the indirect
dependencies.  I did get your point about the fact that we could have
cases where the indirect dependencies might conflict with one another.
That's going to be a tough situation regardless of whether we have a
sat-solver or a human who has to struggle with that situation.

It's also going to be a bit sad because it means that we won't be able
to create a single config that could be used to run all the kunit
tests when a user pushes a change to a Gerrit server for review.  :-/

I suppose that if we use a strict definition of "unit tests", and we
assume that all of the tests impacted by a change in foo/bar/baz.c
will be found in foo/bar/baz-test.c, or maybe foo/bar/*-test.c, we can
automate the generation of the kunitconfig file, perhaps?

The other sad bit about having mutually exclusive config options is
that we can't easily "run all KUinit tests" for some kind of test
spinner or zero-day bot.

I'm not sure there's a good solution to that issue, though.

    	     	       	    	     - Ted

  reply	other threads:[~2019-10-18 16:25 UTC|newest]

Thread overview: 26+ messages / expand[flat|nested]  mbox.gz  Atom feed  top
2019-10-18  0:18 Brendan Higgins
2019-10-18  0:33 ` Iurii Zaikin
2019-10-30 18:59   ` Kees Cook
2019-11-06  0:35     ` Brendan Higgins
2019-11-06  0:37       ` Brendan Higgins
2019-10-18  0:43 ` Brendan Higgins
2019-10-18 16:25   ` Theodore Y. Ts'o [this message]
2019-10-18 21:41     ` Brendan Higgins
2019-10-30 19:02       ` Kees Cook
2019-10-31  9:01         ` Brendan Higgins
2019-10-18 12:29 ` Luis Chamberlain
2019-10-19 12:56   ` Alan Maguire
2019-10-19 18:36     ` Luis Chamberlain
2019-10-24  0:42     ` Brendan Higgins
2019-10-24 10:15       ` Luis Chamberlain
2019-10-30 19:09         ` Kees Cook
2019-10-30 20:11           ` Iurii Zaikin
2019-10-31  1:40             ` John Johansen
2019-10-31  9:33             ` Brendan Higgins
2019-10-31 18:40               ` Kees Cook
2019-11-05 16:43               ` Mike Salvatore
2019-11-05 23:59                 ` Brendan Higgins
2019-10-31  1:37           ` John Johansen
2019-10-31  9:17           ` Brendan Higgins
2019-11-01 12:30             ` Alan Maguire
2019-11-05 23:44               ` Brendan Higgins

Reply instructions:

You may reply publicly to this message via plain-text email
using any one of the following methods:

* Save the following mbox file, import it into your mail client,
  and reply-to-all from there: mbox

  Avoid top-posting and favor interleaved quoting:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style

* Reply using the --to, --cc, and --in-reply-to
  switches of git-send-email(1):

  git send-email \
    --in-reply-to=20191018162519.GH21137@mit.edu \
    --to=tytso@mit.edu \
    --cc=alan.maguire@oracle.com \
    --cc=brendanhiggins@google.com \
    --cc=davidgow@google.com \
    --cc=jmorris@namei.org \
    --cc=john.johansen@canonical.com \
    --cc=keescook@chromium.org \
    --cc=kunit-dev@googlegroups.com \
    --cc=linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org \
    --cc=linux-kselftest@vger.kernel.org \
    --cc=linux-security-module@vger.kernel.org \
    --cc=mcgrof@kernel.org \
    --cc=mike.salvatore@canonical.com \
    --cc=serge@hallyn.com \
    --cc=shuah@kernel.org \
    --cc=yzaikin@google.com \
    --subject='Re: [PATCH linux-kselftest/test v1] apparmor: add AppArmor KUnit tests for policy unpack' \
    /path/to/YOUR_REPLY

  https://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-send-email.html

* If your mail client supports setting the In-Reply-To header
  via mailto: links, try the mailto: link

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).