linux-kselftest.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Xiaoyao Li <xiaoyao.li@intel.com>
To: shuah <shuah@kernel.org>, Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@redhat.com>
Cc: kvm@vger.kernel.org, linux-kselftest@vger.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC v3 0/3] Fix errors when try to build kvm selftests on specified output
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 16:51:47 +0800	[thread overview]

On 3/28/2020 12:03 AM, shuah wrote:
> On 3/27/20 7:31 AM, Xiaoyao Li wrote:
>> On 3/27/2020 4:57 AM, shuah wrote:
>>> On 3/25/20 9:07 PM, Xiaoyao Li wrote:
> The patches you sent are based on running the command with OUTPUT
> set.

The issues are also there when I use

   make O=/somewher TARGETS=kvm

from tools/testing/selftests/ directory,

Is it the right usecase?

> That is why I am asking you start with the right use-cases,
> and gave you pointers on tests to refer to that have sub-dirs
> and handle relocatable builds:
>
> futex
> arm64
> android

I have read the Makefile in futex, arm64, android to learn how they
deal with subdir, they have Makefile in subdir but kvm doesn't.

I just want to create the subdir as easy as possible, so I follow the
method how to create subdir for LIBKVM_OBJ in kvm.

If you dislike it way you can reply it Patch 1 to disclaim clear what
you want to fix the subdir.

>>> Also, just build isn't sufficient for you to be able to run the
>>> tests.
>>>
>>> make kselftest-install O=/path/to/mydir TARGETS=kvm will generate
>>> run script.
>>
>> This command also has the x86_64 directory not created issue.
>> Since it generates header files in kernel_src/usr/include, it doesn't
>> have headers path issue. But as result, the kernel_src directory is
>> not clean, this requires me to run "make mrproper", I *really* don't
>> like it.
>>

> If the test leverages lib.mk headers install logic correctly, you
> shouldn't see this problem.
>
> Yes. It does make the source directory dirty. That is the problem we
> have to fix. I am seeing issues the issue of x86_64 not being created
> in the case of relocatable builds.
>
> Thanks for working on this by the way. It is one of the tests that
> identified as the one doesn't support relocatable builds.
>
> You will see fixes to others I already fixed in
>
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/shuah/linux-kselftest.git/log/?h=next
>

> Start withe the following use0-cases to fix and then test your fixes
> for these use-cases. The goal is to be able to run kvm from target
> directory and source directory staying clean.
>
> You will have to build the kernel first in all of these cases.
> Let's use kselftest-install which is what you would need if you
> want build and then run tests later. Also assuming you are doing
> native build on x86_64.
>
>  From main kernel Makefile: (from kernel source root dir)
>
> Builds in the same source directory:
> make kselftest-install TARGETS=kvm
>
> Relocatable build: (from kernel source root dir)
>
> make O=/path/objdir  - build kernel
> make kselftest-install O=/path/objdir TARGETS=kvm

I don't want to build kernel at all.

>  From tools/testing/selftests/kvm directory:
> make O=/path/objdir install

Oh no. This needs to define INSTALL_PATH, and I don't want to install.
I just want to build the testcase of kvm to anywhere else to make srcdir
clean.

Besides this command make both kernel src and selftest/kvm dirty.

> Install step is important especially for relocatable builds,
> as it makes sure all run-time dependencies are copied to the
> target directory.

OK.

So, again.

is

   make O=/tmp/kvm-selftest -C tools/testing/selftests \
        TARGETS=kvm install INSTALL_PATH=/home/lxy/kvm-selftest

the right command for me to start on?