linux-kselftest.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Brendan Higgins <brendanhiggins@google.com>
To: Luis Chamberlain <mcgrof@kernel.org>
Cc: "Theodore Ts'o" <theodore.tso@gmail.com>,
	shuah <shuah@kernel.org>,
	KUnit Development <kunit-dev@googlegroups.com>,
	"open list:KERNEL SELFTEST FRAMEWORK"
	<linux-kselftest@vger.kernel.org>,
	David Gow <davidgow@google.com>
Subject: Re: kunit.py should default to --build_dir=.kunit
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 15:22:59 -0700	[thread overview]

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 5:43 AM Luis Chamberlain <mcgrof@kernel.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 02:02:52PM -0700, Brendan Higgins wrote:
> > Shuah's solution was just to use CONFIG fragments in the meantime
> > similar to what kselftest already does. I was leaning in that
> > direction since kselftest already does that and we know that it works.
> >
> > Shuah, Luis, does this still match what you have been thinking?
>
> I personally never use the selftest full config thing myself, however I
> do use subcomponent selftests configs as hints to edit my .config to add
> what I need and then run 'make menuconfig', in hopes that that leaves a
> .config with all that is needed.
>
> So indeed, I believe ethis works well for now, and it works for me.

Okay, good to know. So that is probably the right thing to do until we
can come up with a good solution to the dynamically generating an
allconfig problem.

> I've hinted elsewhere that there is a difference between what kernel
> features you have enabled Vs what components are needed / should we
> built to test the current target kernel .config. And even then, what we
> test in userspace is in my view different than what should be configured
> in the kernel. To scale this I think a respective .config for userspace

Sure.

> and respective symbols for testing may be in order, this way the
> userspace tests can only be visible say if you enabled certain features
> in your kernel.  How this gets exposed, etc, is a separate question,

I think that is a reasonable idea, but I don't think that really
applies here. I don't think it really makes sense to have the `make
kunit` that Ted is describing here do anything involving userspace.
That should just run the KUnit tests in the kernel. In anycase, I
expressed my ideas on the matter in more detail on the hybrid testing
thread[1].

> however I think this can be addressed later, and I believe Knut will
> likely be dealing with it during the KTF merge to kunit work as
> currently it addresses this via generic netlink, and we want something
> simple to start off with.

Cheers!

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kselftest/CAFd5g459xmO+=QPhnnXVO8+dB_t1PViXxK-Fz6Zp+sp5suJZ2w@mail.gmail.com/