linux-kselftest.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Daniel Latypov <dlatypov@google.com>
To: "André Almeida" <andrealmeid@riseup.net>
Cc: "Shuah Khan" <skhan@linuxfoundation.org>,
	"Brendan Higgins" <brendanhiggins@google.com>,
	"David Gow" <davidgow@google.com>,
	kunit-dev@googlegroups.com,
	"open list:KERNEL SELFTEST FRAMEWORK"
	<linux-kselftest@vger.kernel.org>,
	~lkcamp/discussion@lists.sr.ht,
	"Nícolas F. R. A. Prado" <n@nfraprado.net>,
	"Marcelo Schmitt" <marcelo.schmitt1@gmail.com>,
	"Leandro Ribeiro" <leandrohr@riseup.net>,
	kernel-usp@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: KUnit Hackathon
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 23:48:44 -0700	[thread overview]

On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 1:41 PM André Almeida <andrealmeid@riseup.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We belong to two student groups, FLUSP [1] and LKCAMP [2], both of which
> are focused on sharing kernel and free software development knowledge
> and experience with fellow free software developers and newcomers.
>
> As part of our efforts, we'll be organizing a KUnit hackathon in the
> next Saturday (July 10), where we intend to help newcomers convert
> existing runtime tests (the ones found at lib/) to KUnit and maybe
> create new ones. Depending on the number of attendees, a high volume of
> patches may be sent throughout the day. We will do our best to review
> all patches before they go to the kernel mailing lists hoping to avoid
> wasting your time with minor patching issues.

That sounds great!

> So we wanted to let you know of all this beforehand and give you the
> time to send any suggestions or comments on all this. For instance, we

Some random, unorganized thoughts:
* I (as a kernel newbie) found the ownership of tests under lib/ to be
a bit unclear.

* Make sure to base on 5.14, there's some new features that could be of use
  * QEMU support in kunit.py: it's no longer as big of a deal if we
can't get tests running under UML. Brendan's made it fairly easy to
run tests in an x86 VM.
  * Skipped tests support: can now mark a test skipped. Some of the
lib/ tests could benefit, e.g. test_hash.c
  * another lib/ test conversion just landed in 5.14, [1], along with
kunit_kcalloc/kunit_malloc_array() helpers
  * Documentation/dev-tools/kunit/running_tips.rst - has instructions
for how to generate code coverage reports using UML/kunit.py
    * This seems like it could be useful... [2]

* I feel that the hackathon will surface a number of feature requests
for KUnit. Some patches might be blocked on these features (like your
uuid patch).
  * Might be good to track these as they come up and note which
patches are blocked.

* Should we make a decision beforehand wrt renaming test files and
kconfig options to match the style guide? In the most recent
conversion [1], I left them as-is. The answer depends on the test
owner, but we should probably be consistent with what we do in the
v1's at least.

* I assume test modules used in selftests (test_bitmap, test_printf,
etc.) should remain untouched for now ?
  * KUnit does *not* return a non-zero exit code when you modprobe the
test, as the userspace part of those tests assumes.
  * We could write a wrapper like kselftest/module.sh, but for KUnit
test modules, but this extra in-flight patch would become a dependency
for maybe multiple other conversions.
  * I'd like it if we had ^ eventually, but I don't know how others
feel about that.

* I had some small patches for converting test_min_heap.c and
test_sort.c that I should get around to sending out.

[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=ebd09577be6c15ee2d343cf60e5bb819946a5ee8
[2] I currently see
  Overall coverage rate:
  lines......: 16.4% (20034 of 122481 lines)
  functions..: 18.1% (2032 of 11205 functions)
with the following kunitconfig
  CONFIG_KUNIT=y
  CONFIG_KUNIT_ALL_TESTS=y
  CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=y
  CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=y
  CONFIG_GCOV=y

This might be a neat way to motivate participants by showing #s going up.
Note: I'm more interested in the # of covered functions than anything else.
The %s are nice to look at, but not that useful since we're only
compiling a small fraction of kernel code.