Hi! > > > > Why simple_strto*() can't be used? > > > > > > I didn't really consider it, but looking in more detail I don't like it > > > much. Without having tried it I think simple_strtoull accepts > > > "1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000" returning some arbitrary > > > value without an error indication. > > > > So what? User has a lot of possibilities to shoot into the foot. > > Since you interpret this as device major:minor, not founding a device > > will be first level of error, next one when your code will try to do > > something out of it. It shouldn't be a problem of kstrtox generic > > helpers. > > I fail to follow your argument here. In my eyes if the user writes a > valid major:minor it should work, and if they write an invalid one this > should result in an error and not a usage of a device that just happens > to have the major:minor that simple_strtoull happens to return for the > two components. Yes please. We don't allow feet shooting where it is easy to prevent, and that is the case here. Best regards, Pavel -- (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html