linux-leds.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Jacek Anaszewski <jacek.anaszewski@gmail.com>
To: Vishwanatha Subbanna <vishwa@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
Cc: pavel@ucw.cz, dmurphy@ti.com, linux-leds@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Leds-gpio discarding the entries in /sys/class/leds : Linux 5.4.38
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 13:36:52 +0200	[thread overview]

On 6/22/20 1:07 PM, Vishwanatha Subbanna wrote:
> Hi Jacek,
>
>> On 22-Jun-2020, at 4:24 PM, Jacek Anaszewski <jacek.anaszewski@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Vishwanatha,
>>
>> On 6/22/20 8:58 AM, Vishwanatha Subbanna wrote:
>>> Thank you very much Jacek.

>>> This is exactly what I don’t understand. I would expect “fan0” to appear in /sys/class/leds. Is there any reason why this might not be appearing ?..
>>
>> OK, now the reason is clear to me. If leds-gpio driver fails to register
>> any of the LEDs found in DT node it returns with an error from the
>> probe(), which results in unregistering any of the LEDs registered in
>> the previous iteration steps.
>>
>> Look at the function gpio_leds_create() in
>> drivers/leds/leds-gpio.c.
>>
>> Probably it is devm_fwnode_get_gpiod_from_child() that fails
>> while parsing nvmeslot0 node.
>
> Is this how it is designed or a bug ?.. From a system standpoint, not having an optional card results in not seeing the ones that are present on the system.
> Would you think it is worthwhile to modify to not chuck off what is existing because something optional is not plugged in ?.. I believe the I2C driver handles this scenario by putting an error message but still consumes what is present.

Well, this code is in mainline for some time and we cannot guarantee
the someone does not rely on this behavior.

You mentioned, that your card is not hot-pluggable so it is even more
justified to treat the two hardware setups as demanding a separate DT.

Otherwise you could probably employ DT overlays mechanism.

--
Best regards,
Jacek Anaszewski