linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
From: Gionatan Danti <g.danti@assyoma.it>
To: Zdenek Kabelac <zkabelac@redhat.com>
Cc: LVM general discussion and development <linux-lvm@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] lvmcache with vdo - inconsistent block size
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 00:32:06 +0200	[thread overview]

Il 2020-09-15 20:34 Zdenek Kabelac ha scritto:
> Dne 14. 09. 20 v 23:44 Gionatan Danti napsal(a):
>> Hi all,
>> I am testing lvmcache with VDO and I have issue with devices block
>> size.
>>
>> The big & slow VDO device is on top of a 4-disk MD RAID 10 device
>> (itself on top of dm-integrity). Over the VDO device I created a
>> thinpool and a thinvol [1]. When adding the cache device to the volume
>> group via vgextend, I get an error stating "Devices have inconsistent
>> logical block sizes (4096 and 512)." [2]
>>
>> Now, I know why the error shows and what i means. However, I don't
>> know how to force the cache device to act as a 4k sector device,
>> and/if this is really required to cache a VDO device.
>>
>> My current workaround is to set VDO with --emulate512=enabled, but
>> this can be suboptimal and it is not recommended.
>>
>> Any idea on what I am doing wrong?
>
> Hi
>
> LVM currently does not support mixing devices of different sector sizes
> within
> a single VG as it brings lot of troubles we have not yet clear vision
> what
> to do with all of them.

Hi Zdenek, yes, I understand. What surprised me is that lvmvdo *can* be
combined with caching, and it does not suffer from this issue. Can you
elaborate on why it works in this case?

> Also this combination of provisioned devices is not advised - since
> you are combining 2 kind of devices on top of each other and it can be
> a big problem
> to solve recovery case.

True.

> On lvm2 side we do not allow to use 'VDO LV' as backend for thin-pool
> device.

I noticed it. However, from what I can read on RedHat docs, thinpool
over VDO device should be perfectly fine (the other way around, not so
much).

> So ATM it's on a user to solve all the possible scenarios that may
> appear on
> such device stack.
>
> Zdenek

Thanks.