linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
* [linux-lvm] metadata device too small
@ 2020-01-11 17:57 Ede Wolf
From: Ede Wolf @ 2020-01-11 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

After having swapped a 2,2T thinpool metadata device for a 16GB one,
I've run into a transaction id mismatch. So run lconvert --repair on the
thinvolume - in fact, I've had to run the repair twice, as the
transaction id error persisted after the first run.

Now ever since I cannot activate the thinpool any more:

[root]# lvchange -ay VG_Raid6/ThinPoolRaid6
   WARNING: Not using lvmetad because a repair command was run.
   Activation of logical volume VG_Raid6/ThinPoolRaid6 is prohibited
while logical volume VG_Raid6/ThinPoolRaid6_tmeta is active.

So disable them and try again:

[root]# lvchange -an VG_Raid6/ThinPoolRaid6_tdata
   WARNING: Not using lvmetad because a repair command was run.

[root]# lvchange -an VG_Raid6/ThinPoolRaid6_tmeta
   WARNING: Not using lvmetad because a repair command was run.

[root]# lvchange -ay VG_Raid6/ThinPoolRaid6
   WARNING: Not using lvmetad because a repair command was run.
   device-mapper: resume ioctl on  (253:3) failed: Invalid argument
   Unable to resume VG_Raid6-ThinPoolRaid6-tpool (253:3).

And from the journal:

kernel: device-mapper: thin: 253:3: metadata device (4145152 blocks) too
small: expected 4161600
kernel: device-mapper: table: 253:3: thin-pool: preresume failed, error
= -22

Despite not using ubuntu, I may have been bitten by this bug(?), as my
new metadata partion happens to be 16GB:

"If pool meta is 16GB , lvconvert --repair will destroy logical volumes."

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lvm2/+bug/1625201

Is there any way to make the data accessible again?

lvm2 2.02.186