linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
* [linux-lvm] Programming interface
@ 2019-08-21  7:58 Christoph Pleger
From: Christoph Pleger @ 2019-08-21  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

Hello,

Some time ago, we wrote an application that uses the lvm2app interface
to manage volume groups and logical volumes. Of course, the application
does not work anymore, now that lvm2app has been skipped. So, is there
anywhere something like a guide how to rewrite code that used the
lvm2app interface?

Regards
   Christoph

* Re: [linux-lvm] Programming interface
@ 2019-08-21  8:46 ` Zdenek Kabelac
From: Zdenek Kabelac @ 2019-08-21  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development, Christoph Pleger

Dne 21. 08. 19 v 9:58 Christoph Pleger napsal(a):
> Hello,
>
> Some time ago, we wrote an application that uses the lvm2app interface to
> manage volume groups and logical volumes. Of course, the application does not
> work anymore, now that lvm2app has been skipped. So, is there anywhere
> something like a guide how to rewrite code that used the lvm2app interface?

Hi

Unfortunatelly there is no API library anymore - we were simply not able to
provide such interface - it's complex task and very low number of developers...

The 'new' idea was to use/provide 'DBus' API - however it's also not a lot of
'traction' :( and it's also missing lot of features and design...

So I'd highly recommend to stick with a call standard lvm2 commands.

String interface is pretty good and easy to construct in all programming
languages.

Note - lvs has pretty good formatting capabilities for easy parsing (even in
i.e. BASH)

Regards

Zdenek

* Re: [linux-lvm] Programming interface
@ 2019-08-21 11:14   ` Christoph Pleger
From: Christoph Pleger @ 2019-08-21 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zdenek Kabelac; +Cc: LVM general discussion and development

Hello,

> The 'new' idea was to use/provide 'DBus' API - however it's also not a
> lot of 'traction' :( and it's also missing lot of features and
> design...

Surely you are not saying that the dbus interface will also disappear -
because I am using that in another, less complicated application, though
not directly, but with libblockdev.

@ 2019-08-21 12:08     ` Zdenek Kabelac
From: Zdenek Kabelac @ 2019-08-21 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development, Christoph Pleger

Dne 21. 08. 19 v 13:14 Christoph Pleger napsal(a):
> Hello,
>
>> The 'new' idea was to use/provide 'DBus' API - however it's also not a
>> lot of 'traction' :( and it's also missing lot of features and
>> design...
>
> Surely you are not saying that the dbus interface will also disappear -
> because I am using that in another, less complicated application, though not
> directly, but with libblockdev.

It's rather the issue of maintenance and keeping it 'up-to-date' with current
lvm2 - since there are already quite a few missing 'parts' to be encoded into
dbus...

Zdenek

* Re: [linux-lvm] Programming interface
@ 2019-08-23 13:20   ` Christoph Pleger
From: Christoph Pleger @ 2019-08-23 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zdenek Kabelac; +Cc: LVM general discussion and development

Hello,

>> Some time ago, we wrote an application that uses the lvm2app interface
>> to manage volume groups and logical volumes. Of course, the
>> application does not work anymore, now that lvm2app has been skipped.
>> So, is there anywhere something like a guide how to rewrite code that
>> used the lvm2app interface?

> Unfortunatelly there is no API library anymore - we were simply not
> able to provide such interface - it's complex task and very low number
> of developers...

When, as a quick solution, I install a binary package containing one of
the last lvm2app versions that was still included in the same lvm2
upstream version, will that still work, in combination with newer lvm
programs and libraries?

Regards
   Christoph