linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
* Re: [linux-lvm] Existing Linux System
@ 1999-10-12 13:59   ` Jens Benecke
From: Jens Benecke @ 1999-10-12 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heinz Mauelshagen, linux-lvm

On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 09:52:29PM +0000, Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:

> > I have an exisiting linux system. Running Mandrake 6.0. I have
> > installed sucessfully the kernel patch and the LVM software. Can I
> > convert the existing layout to use LVM?
> No conversion in means of nondestructive change of your existing
> partition based filesystems into logical volume based ones.

> > And if so how would that be accomplished.
> You have to have free disk space available (at least about 10-20% more
> than the already used space for your partition based filesystems) to set
> up a volume group containing logical volumes for /, /usr, /tmp, /var and
> so on.
> Create filesystems in these logical volumes and mount them.

Is there a kind of Migration-HOWTO included in the LVM package that tells
you how to migrate an existing system in detail?

--
_ciao, Jens_______________________________ http://www.pinguin.conetix.de

Windows NT indeed has very low Total Cost of Ownership. Trouble is,
Microsoft _owns_ Windows NT. You just licensed it.

* [linux-lvm] Existing Linux System
@ 1999-10-14 13:18 Al Smith
From: Al Smith @ 1999-10-14 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

[-- Attachment #1: Existing --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 300 bytes --]

I have an exisiting linux system. Running Mandrake 6.0. I have installed
sucessfully the kernel patch and the LVM software. Can I convert the
existing layout to use LVM? And if so how would that be accomplished.

Al Smith
Systems Engineer
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
al.smith@mail.tju.edu

* Re: [linux-lvm] Existing Linux System
@ 1999-10-14 19:52 ` Heinz Mauelshagen
From: Heinz Mauelshagen @ 1999-10-14 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Al.Smith; +Cc: mge, linux-lvm

Hi Al.

> I have an exisiting linux system. Running Mandrake 6.0. I have installed
> sucessfully the kernel patch and the LVM software. Can I convert the
> existing layout to use LVM?

No conversion in means of nondestructive change of your existing partition
based filesystems into logical volume based ones.

> And if so how would that be accomplished.

You have to have free disk space available (at least about 10-20% more than
the already used space for your partition based filesystems) to set up
a volume group containing logical volumes for /, /usr, /tmp, /var and so on.

Create filesystems in these logical volumes and mount them.

Copy coresponding files from your partition based filesystems to the
logical volume based ones.

Keep a small BIOS reachable boot partition, because LILO can't deal
with logical volumes directly.

The boot partition (20M is sufficient) has to hold all necessary LILO
files including lilo.conf, your boot kernel and an initrd.gz created
by lvmcreate_initrd(8).

It should hold binaries (like /bin/sh or the LVM executables), shared
libraries and necessary modules too to be able to use it as a standalone
bootable root in case something goes wrong 8*( or for administration purposes.

BTW:
If you don't have plenty of space to configure large enough logical volumes in
the first place, you can add the partitions containing the original
filesystems to your volume group after your LVM system is o.k. and running.

Then you can grow the logical volumes and resize the unmounted ext2 filesystems
with resize2fs. To accomplish this you can standalone boot your system from
the above mentioned partition.

Regards,
Heinz

Systemmanagement CS-TS                           T-Nova
                                                 Entwicklungszentrum Darmstadt
Heinz Mauelshagen                                Otto-Roehm-Strasse 71c
Senior Systems Engineer                          Postfach 10 05 41
                                                 64205 Darmstadt
mge@ez-darmstadt.telekom.de                      Germany
                                                 +49 6151 886-425
                                                          FAX-386