linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
From: "Peter C. Norton" <spacey@lenin.nu>
To: Michael Loftis <zop12@mindless.com>
Cc: "Shaw, Marco" <marco.shaw@nbtel.nb.ca>, linux-lvm@msede.com
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] lvm'ing root fs
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 22:10:40 -0700	[thread overview]

Now we don't want /usr, or /proc, or /tmp, or /opt, or /boot, /lost+found,
/home, /var, but you want the directories.

I now vote for:

umask 022
tar -cf - /dev /bin /sbin /root /lib /etc | (cd /mnt/root_vg; tar -xvf -)
cd /mnt/root_vg; mkdir boot home mnt opt tmp usr var

Unless your /tmp is on the / filesystem.

Anyway, that should do it :)

-Peter

It could also be done as:
find /dev -type f -o -type p -o -type b -o -type c
but it'd be easier to do:

cd /; find . -xdev -print | xargs tar -cf - /dev| (cd /mnt/root_vg; tar -xf -)